19

Maverick threw the cocoon up and down in the air as if it was simply a tennis ball, catching it with one hand. Newt stared at him. "I'm not telling you," he shook his head. "Not with him in your hands. Too much of a risk."

Maverick rolled his eyes. "Listen, we can do this the easy way, or we can do this the hard way," he said, pulling out his wand. "I think, for the sake of everyone, we should do this the easy way, don't you?"

______ stepped back. She hated it when he used magic. She always loved watching Newt do it, every time she saw Newt use magic, it all seemed so wonderful. However, she did remember him telling her. Telling her that there are some people out there who use and abuse magic completely.

She just never thought she'd have to meet any of them.

"I'm not letting you do anything to that creature," Newt told him. "I'd rather cut off my hand than let you hurt any of my creatures."

Maverick sighed. "Well, at least I can say I tried to take it easy. You're a difficult guy to negotiate with, aren't you Scamander?" He pointed his wand right at Newt and muttered, "Crucio."

Hearing that word again, ______ froze up. She never wanted to hear it again, she never wanted to think about it again. She wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

She would have never, ever wanted Newt to have to experience it.

Newt let out a heart-shattering scream and fell to the ground. It felt like every inch of him was being torn apart, his skin was on fire, it was like a million needles were poking into him on every square inch of his body. "Newt!" ______ cried out, getting on the ground next to him. He couldn't respond, his eyes were shut tight, and he could only continue to keep letting out screams.

"How do you get him to come out?" the wizard yelled, his wand still pointed at Newt. ______ wanted to cry, she would do anything to make this stop. She saw herself in Newt, she saw herself getting tortured.

She couldn't have thought of this in her worst nightmares.

"Stop it!" she screamed at the wizard. "He won't tell you anything, and even if he was going to, he can't speak when you're doing that to him!"

Maverick, surprisingly, let go of his hold on Newt. It didn't last long, though, until she saw why.

Right as Newt stopped his screaming, beginning to open his eyes, he saw as Maverick pointed his wand at ______ and she slid over to him. "You're a brave little Muggle, aren't you?" he asked in a mocking tone. "Or is the word I'm looking for stupid?" He laughed menacingly, his wand under her chin, poking at her painfully. "What do you think you can do to stop me?"

Newt got to his feet as quickly as he could. "Let her go, Maverick," he told him in a cold voice. One she'd never heard Newt use. The only thing it came close to was when he was trying to keep her from being obliviated by Tina, but here, it was different. Completely different. It was almost like Newt was a different person, but he wasn't It was just another side of him.

It only goes to show, if you ever try to hurt someone he's close to, you're not going to come face-to-face with that "kind, innocent, Hufflepuff" label everyone likes to throw on him. He wasn't threatening him verbally, but in his tone of voice, it wasn't a friendly suggestion.

Maverick wasn't shaken in the slightest by this change of character. In fact, he found it funny. He didn't see Newt as a threat at all. He had no wand, no magic, and Newt, try as he might, didn't have it in him to use any kind of unforgiveable curse. No matter what, he could just tell he wasn't the kind to make matters extreme like that.

That's why he would never win.

Maverick laughed. "Why should I?" he asked, turning away from Newt and looking into ______'s eyes. "How about you and I have some fun?" he asked in a cold, menacing voice.