21

A/N: SORRY FOR THE DELAY! I was supposed to update yesterday, but technology and life got in the way. Long story short: I had to rewrite this entire chapter to where I was and then finish writing it, which took longer than I expected.

Also, I apologize to those of you who don't celebrate Christmas. Since it's coming up in real time (depending on when you read this) and the movie was set in December, I thought it might be something nice to add in here. I can't please everyone, though I wish I could.

Anyways, enough of me: ONTO THE CHAPTER!

|--| |--| |--|

______ couldn't get back to sleep after that, she simply wasn't tired. Newt couldn't get back to sleep for a different reason – he was too happy, euphoric in fact. She was finally awake, she was okay, he could stop worrying.

They sat and talked for hours about everything and nothing. Queenie had decided to go to sleep and no one ever woke Tina up for her shift. So, when she woke up and saw it was light outside, panic struck her. No, she thought, shaking her head. Please be fine, please be fine, she rushed to her feet, running over to ______'s room. She knew Newt would be awake by now, and knowing him, he was probably already by ______'s side. Tina threw open the door, already beginning to apologize. "I'm sorry, I woke up late and I didn't-"

She stopped in her tracks when she saw Newt and ______ just sitting on the bed, talking.

She's awake, Tina thought. That's why no one woke me up.

"Oh," Tina began, feeling out-of-place. "I didn't know she, erm, you woke up. That's wonderful." She smiled and nodded.

______ nodded, smiling back at Tina. She had a feeling before that Tina still didn't like her very much, but she was being pleasant. "Thank you, by the way." ______ told her.

"For what?" Tina asked, confused at first.

"For coming to help me. For helping me get better. For feeding me and making sure my clothes weren't too soiled." ______ listed off. Newt told her how helpful everyone was when she was out, and she felt like she owed a huge debt to everyone. "I know you didn't like me much, but you still came all this way to help me, so thank you."

I did this for Newt, Tina thought. I came for Newt. She kept repeating to herself, but even so, the girl wasn't wrong. While Tina came originally for Newt, maybe that's not why she stayed. She knew, she knew deep inside that Newt didn't feel the same way about her the way she felt about him. She came for him, to comfort him, and possibly... for the slim hope maybe he'd notice her. Notice how hard she was trying, notice how she looked at him, noticed her feelings hadn't gone away, and that they were genuine. Well, if he had noticed, he didn't say anything. He didn't look at her the same way she looked at him, but the way he looked at ______...

Well, it was foolish to think she could ever be the one that he might prefer.

"No problem," Tina told her. "Newt, do you want me to start making breakfast?"

Newt nodded. "That would be nice, thank you." As he finished his sentence, he gasped as if he remembered something and turned to ______. "I almost forgot, I wanted to show you your surprise."

"Right!" ______ exclaimed. "I forgot about that." She turned to Tina. "I can help make breakfast before I see it, if you want. I'd like to help out a little after all you've done for me."

"I can make it myself," Tina told her. "You should take it slow anyways. Go see what your surprise is."

"Are you sure?"