1994 Waiting on a Friend

"Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged." James recited. A little thing that my best friend Teddy, or James hasn't admitted since the seventh grade, was that he wanted to be an actor. We both did, I just pursued it more as we got older. He let it go, in fear of what others may think, but to me, it was clear what he wanted out of life. He kept dozens of posters around his room of celebrities he admired. These people included Johnny Depp, River Phoenix, and many more. He always begged to help me run lines, and showed up to every show I was a part of. Now, he was helping me with my Romeo and Juliet audition.

"Then have my lips the sin that they have took." I recited back. Acting is something that we had done together for our whole lives. As kids we would make up little plays, and perform them infront of our family. We were both very artistic in that way. We roleplayed as our favorite television characters, and even wrote a few 'movies'. Our times together practically consisted of non- stop movie nights, and make believe.

His hand moved into my hair, cupping my cheek.

"Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!" He finished. "Now, is this the part where you kiss me?" He smiled, his hand still on my cheek. He was so close to my face, I could practically feel his breath fanning over me. We had absolutely no feelings for eachother, but sometimes the butterflies in my stomach couldn't help but flutter around when I was with him.

I quickly snapped out of it before rolling my eyes.

"No. This is the the part where you tell me you're auditioning." I sighed getting up from his bed, and moving towards my backpack.

"Me? Auditioning for Romeo and Juliet?" He scoffed, leaning back onto his bed.

"Leonardo Dicaprio got the part of Romeo." I pointed to the poster of Leonardo from the Basketball Diaries, that James had.

"He did?" He asked sitting up, and looking at me with furrowed eyebrows. I could practically see the look of contemplation on his face. I smiled lightly, before shoving my script back into my backpack.

"I mean- Really, my only competition for Juliet is Jasmine." Jasmine is James' girlfriend. They have been dating since the end of freshmen year, and while she was a very sweet girl, there's just kind of a part of me that didn't like her for some reason. I think it's because we normally always audition for the same roles.

"Let's refrain from talking bad about my girlfriend. But- between you and me, I think you'll get it." He chuckled lightly, reaching over to his remote.

"Thank you for the reassurance. Promise me, you'll audition."

"I'll think about it." He stated turning on the television. Walking towards the bed, I sat next to him.

"I mean- it has to be a better pass time, than stealing." I shrugged, taking the remote away from him, and beginning to flip through the channels.

"That reminds me." He smirked getting up from his bed, and walking over to his drawer. He turned, and I noticed the little bottle in his hand.

"Really?" I rolled my eyes. Since the end of Middle School, he's had a little problem with petty theft. Started with candy bars, and continues today, with Gucci perfume. He's been arrested a few times, and on probation a couple times. It hasn't gotten that serious though, yet. I, on the other hand, have never stolen anything, a day in my life. The only illegal activity I partake in, is smoking a little weed. Which, I only ever do with James, anyways.

"No, thank you?" He asked sarcastically, handing the bottle to me.

"You know I dissapprove of this." I started. "But- Chanel number 5 is my favorite. Thank you." He came to sit next to me again, with an accomplished smirk on his face. I landed on Beverly Hills 90210. "Just in time for the new episode." I muttered placing the remote down between us. This had to be my favorite show of this time. James gets slightly annoyed watching it with me, but he secretely watches it by himself.

"Great." He rolled his eyes, now laying his head on the pillow.

"Don't act like you don't love it." I laughed, looking over at him.

"I do. What I don't love is how you can just go on and on about Jason Priestley's hair. " He laughed. I picked up the pillow behind me, and his him on the chest. "Hey!" He laughed harder.

"Cassie, are you staying for dinner?" I heard Betsy ask. I turned over, looking at the door frame. Betsy has always been a second mother to me. The Francos were really just another set of family members.

"Actually, I think my mom wanted me home for dinner." I told her, slightly moving the bottle of Chanel No 5, under my thigh, so she wouldn't notice. If James gets caught again, he's screwed.

"Okay, James, dinner is ready." She announced.

"Alright." He replied before she closed the door behind her.

"Are they still pissed?" I asked, getting out of bed, and grabbing the perfume.

"Yeah." He sighed getting up, as well. The amount of teen angst that James could have at times, was very overwhelming. Stealing, smoking, not genuinely talking to anyone instead of me, was basically James in a nutshell. When not with me, or Jasmine, he spends his time in his room painting, unless he decides to paint on the side of a huge building, which gets him in trouble. Or he's out with the 'crowd' stealing cologne, or things for me, and Jasmine. "You coming over after school tomorrow? There's a private showing in my room of Running on Empty."

"Where else would I go?" I laughed, placing the perfume into my backpack, and zipping it up before throwing it over my shoulder. "See you in the morning." I walked over to the door, and opened it.

"See you." He replied.