Four

4

The next few weeks were pure bliss. It seemed like everything had fallen back into place and I had finally gotten my best friend back. Just like old times we were going out, acting up, just living our best lives as we got to know one another all over again. It was like the events of the past few years had never happened, as if it was just erased from both of our memories. While the events of the past still stuck with me and I knew we'd eventually have to face what had happened, I was having too much fun enjoying the fun times we were having to worry about that. All the harmless flirting was beginning to bring those feelings of lust for him back up and I found myself falling into the same trap that I had fallen into all those years ago. Over the past few weeks we'd been spending almost all of our free time together. We had even been working together trying to get him back on his feet. Apartment and job searching and even booking some studio time so he could get back into doing what he loves. 

"What you thinking about ma?" he questioned me, for the millionth time I was caught in a daze. Us. That's what I wanted to say. I wanted to reveal that the only thing on my mind and the only thing that had been on my mind for so long was me and him. I wanted August. I don't know if it was because I knew he was no good for me, or if it was because he minded me of the past life we shared but I wanted him. I wanted to be with him and only him and was ready to tell him. "I'm thinking about-" A loud screech that could have been heard from a mile away. 

"August!" the voice screamed catching the attention of all five of the other Applebee's guest. 

"Shit." he cursed under his breath, clearly he knew the girl. As she approached I was able to see that her loud mouth clearly matched her persona. She had those long strip lashes that you get from the dollar store on, paired with basic badly done wig, a pair of five below leggings and a plain white tee. Everything about this girl screamed I'm from the projects. "The hell do you want man?"

"The hell do I want? I want to know why the hell you been dodging my calls August? Why the hell I gotta track you down to some damn Applebee's. I'm ya baby mama and you out here treating me like some damn hoe!" 

 "Baby Mama?" I questioned, I had to have heard her wrong. There is no way that this ratchet mess could be my August's baby mother. "Yea. Baby mama. Did I stutter or something." She rolled her neck and snapping at me, in the same gesture she went to rub her enlarged belly. It was clear that she was at least four months. A younger me would have already had this chick laid out across the floor just the second she said that but the more mature me decided to just brush it off especially since she was pregnant.  There was no way I was going to let some pregnant hoodrat.

"Naw, I was just making sure that I heard you right." Still in shook I caught myself staring at her stomach.Just when I thought things were going good, just when I thought maybe just maybe the two of us would be able to actually be something, just when I was about to confess my feelings and tell August I was ready to go all in this had to happen. 

"August who is this bitch anyways? Your little hoe of the week? You out here going on little dates when I'm over here going to doctor's appointments alone." Her attention and mine was now redirected towards August who seemed just as confused as me. We both watched him as he tried to explain what the hell was happening.

"First of all Lalia you done lost your damn mind coming for my girl like that. For two that ain't my damn baby in ya damn stomach." Though I tried to hold it back a slight smile crept across my face as he referred to me as his girl. 

" What the hell you smiling at? And August you know damn well this is your baby you gonna claim my child!" At this point the screaming math had caught the attention of all the workers and customers and it was becoming increasingly embarrassing. "Look man I ain't claiming no child til I got some proof. Now leave you making a scene."