Seventeen

17

I walked into the apartment praying that'd it'd be vacant just like it is ninety-five percent of the time. My legs carried me into the room that the two of us shared just days before. A fight we had about a week ago escalated to a break up. Which brings me here, breaking into his apartment. My hand went through the drawer picking out everything that belonged to me, that is until that hand was snatched up and the cold barrel of a gun made contact with my neck. "August it's me." I informed, trying to convince my shaking body that I was in no real danger. He turned me around to confirm if what I was saying was true. "Why the fuck are you doing?!" My cheeks turned a rosy red, embarrassed that I had just got caught reviving my underwear from his residence. "I came to get my shit." I informed. "You ain't have to sneak in." He growled. "You scared of me or some shit?" "No I'm not scared-" "Then why you sneakin in?Why the fuck would you be scared of me?!" "Maybe because your yelling at me and just had a gun to my neck." I answered, raising my tone to meet his.

"I'm sorry, aight? I don't want you to be scared of me. I know I get a little crazy but I would never hurt you." He spoke, his tone much calmer. Sometimes I truly believe he's bipolar. The way he can go from being enraged to being the nicest, laid back, person you'd ever meet amazes me. "You'd never hurt me? I wouldn't be here stealing my stuff back if it wasn't for you hurting me August. Us breaking up is you hurting me-" "The breakup was your idea." "But it still hurts. Your constantly hurting me so don't say that shit. Im scared of you because I know your the only one that can do this shit to me. The only one that can have me in tears over stupid shit! I never used to cry, especially over niggas but you have that control. And I'm scared of that."

"I'm sorry." "That's all you fucking say August! Your always sorry yet you don't ever change your actions." "I just need one more chance." "Why should I?"

"Because I love you and you love me. You know damn well the two of us can't be apart. I need you. I promise this time around I'll be better. I just need you to take me back." He begged. I gave a soft smile, taking his hands in mine and giving a nod. To bad I didn't know his words were just a mirage.

"Imma marry you one day." August randomly whispered, voice raspy from wariness. We had stayed up talking, spending hours awake having pointless conversation, each topic someone ending up on marriage.

"What does me wanting some chocolate have to do with you marrying me?" I asked in a slight giggle.

"Shit I dunno, I just thought you should know." He mumbled, running a figure through my wild mane. I never let a man see me in sweats, a bare face, and a jungle of a mane, but with him it seemed to not matter. "And your gonna say yes too."

"What makes you think I'll say yes, How do you know I won't say no?" I finished questioned.

"Because I know the type of female you are. Your wifey material and females that are wifey material can't wait to be wifed up. Plus I got ya ass sprung."

"If that's whatchu think.Why you want me to be your wife anyways? You could have almost any girl you want-" "Almost?" His cocky self butted in. "Yes almost. Like I was saying, you could have almost any girl you want be your wife but yet you want me. Why?" "Because I don't want this other girls, I want you. Ain't no other female ever gonna love me like you do and I ain't never gonna have these type of feelings for a broad that ain't you. But if you just wanna hear some nice shit then, I wanna marry you 'cuz you beautiful, smart, can cook, know how to hold shit down, and was there when I ain't have shit. How could I not wanna marry you? For real doe, If I asked you to marry me would you say yes?" He asked, his tone changing to a serious one.

"Of course I would." I mumbled, the last words spoken for the rest of the night.

* *