Eight

8

"August I want you to come with me. I want us to be together." I plead with him. Tears running down my face as I put my pride aside and begged the man that I love to be with me. "August  I am in love with you! Just come with me we can make this work we can make it work baby I promise we can!" 

"Adira I can't just pack up and leave everything behind like you.Everything I know is here, in NOLA. My family my friends-"

"But I won't be here August. This won't be here!" I held up the object in my hand and waved it in his face. "You have to choose. You have to choose August."

"You gotta get up." I heard a voice say, snapping me out of my trance. My eyes were glued shut but there was no need to open them, I already knew who the tone belonged to. "You can't just spend your birthday locked up in this room." 

 "How'd you know it was my birthday?" 

"You really think that I would forget about your birthday? My babies birthday? " 

"Your baby? And it doesn't feel like my birthday. My friend just had a child with a girl that ain't me. My moms a bitch. I feel like crap." 

"Friend? And you spent the past three days in this room. You gotta get up." I turned over so his face was no longer in my sight. I heard him sigh, clearly frustrated at my distance attitude. If anyone should be aggravated it's me. "I remember how you told me you always wanted breakfast in bed even though it's not breakfast time," He paused as he sat a food tray in front of me. "I can't take back the baby thing, if I could I would. But I can't Adira I can't so can you stop treating me like this. This is the most me talked in the past three days. If this baby is gonna ruin somethin that ain't even start yet then I can leave."

There was a shift in the bed, revealing that he had gotten up. "Don't. Don't leave. " I spoke up. The bed taking a slight dip assured he had sat back down."I really don't want to get up August. Im tired. I just wanna sleep till 5 then go back to sleep at 6."

"It's already six."

"Exactly."

"I know this is more than just Lalia. What's up? Is it ya mom, the shit she said the other day? Or what happened-." I cut him off. I knew that one day this would have to be a conversation we would have to have and we would have to put it all on the table but right now, on my birthday just days after his first child was born was not the time. 

"Can I ask you something August?"

"Wassup ma?"

"If this baby....if this baby isn't your's would you be open to having one?" This had been a question on my mind for some time now. Despite all the issues we had I knew that August would be an amazing father. 

"If this ain't my baby we can make a new one tonight." He joked. "Now come on I'm taking you out." While his tone was playful my question was real. Maybe it was because I wanted August around forever or maybe it was because I was thinking about what could have been but I was serious about having a baby with him. Maybe not now but soon, very soon. 

"August where could we possibly be going?" I questioned. After getting dressed we made our way to the mystery venue. Along with all the walking It was getting dark out and the scenery gave me an uneasy sensation so I wasn't exactly cheerful at the moment.

"You ask to many questions, why can't you just go with the flow? But were here now." He stated, pulling open the door to an abandon looking warehouse.
Inside lights flickered on and faces became visible.

"Surprise!" The crowd called out. A good ninety percent of the faces were unfamiliar but, nevertheless, I was thankful. The huge grin that grew on my face was inevitable. Before I could even respond I was engulfed into the crowd of dancing people.