Fourteen

14

"Bye Ms.Alsina." I whispered as she wrapped me in her arms. Me and August have spent about two weeks with his mother now and I had no desire to go back to our lives. Being around her brought back those memories of how simple and fun things once were. I loved hearing the crazy childhood stories she had to tell that I had heard so many times before and the way the kids seemed to brighten up August's day each time they were around. Sadly all good things come to an end and August decided it was time to go back to Nola since he had a business to run along with other responsibilities.

"Baby you know you can call me mama." She grinned, releasing me from her grip. "Keep my boy out of trouble for me please. He needs someone constantly nagging him and since I'm down here I can't be the one to do it anymore." She joked.

"I'll make sure to keep an eye on him."

"I talked to him earlier. He loves you. I won't let him do anything to mess it up. again. You won't be leaving us again." She whispered. Little did she know that our relationship is already falling apart. I guess their talk didn't include him informing her about the constant fights we've been having during the past few months, or the fact that he's been sneaking around with some random female. But if he didn't want to tell her I wouldn't either. "Next time I get a visit I want it to be from all of you. And another visit better be soon!" She shouted so August, who was saying his goodbye to the kids, could hear.

"It will be ma, I promise!" He yelled back.

"Bye auntie A." His nieces said in unison as they all came over to give me hugs.

The hour long plane ride was once again shared in silence. I just sat awake processing the events of the past two weeks. Me and August have managed to go without fighting but I know that the peace and serenity won't last for to long. The only thing that kept us from going at each others necks during the past week is that he's grieving. He's process of grieving went by faster than expected though. His anger stage occurred first, with him destroying his office. Along with him ordering everyone to find whoever pulled the trigger. Denial and isolation come next, interfering with the anger stage and making its way to Houston for a short period of time. Bargaining happened briefly, him only questioning what would've happened if he had been there to stop whoever did it. Depression lasted the longest, yet it only went on for a week and a half. Finally acceptance came, but I could still sense the depression lingering in his orientation. Plus he's still distancing himself from me.

"Where are we going August?" I asked, looking out the window at the surroundings that didn't resemble our way home. He was riding through unfamiliar territory, the venue looking like a high classed white neighborhood. He didn't respond, just continued to drive, his eyes locked onto the road.

He didn't speak up again until we came to a stop. I looked out the window to be greeted with a beautiful three story house. It was freshly painted black and white, fresh cut lawn, and attached garage. On the lawn stood an for sale sign, followed with an open house one.

He got out of the car and opened my door for me. Taking me hand in his as he led me inside. The interior was even more beautiful than the outside. Other couples filled the house so our presence didn't stir up any commotion. Walking around the house I was able to take in all the beauty it had. The freshly polished wooden floors accented the bright white walls. After taking a look around the four bedroom, two bathroom home I was in love. The huge rooms along with the pool that resigned in the backyard was only topped off the amazing residence.

"You like it?" He asked as soon as we got to the car.

"Why'd you show me this?" I asked, looking out the window, continuing admiring the home. It couldn't possibly be that he wants to move here, not with all the bullshit we've been going through. Plus the house was way to expensive for him to afford.