The First Day Of School

After a well deserved sleep, I sluggishly pulled on my clothes for today. I was put on a pair of blue denim shorts and a teal workout singlet. I slipped on teal flats that covered my toes but had a buckle around my ankle. I played my hair into a fishtail braid and let it fall on my shoulder. I grabbed my grey and aqua book bag and headed towards Remedial Goodness 101, a class that Fairy Godmother herself was teaching. "If someone hands you a crying baby, do you A - Curse it. B - Lock it in a tower. C - give it a bottle. Or D - Carve out it's heart." Fairy Godmother asked us. We were all completely out of it. Evie acted like she was paying attention but wasn't. Carlos and Jay were staring blankly at the blackboard. Mal was sketching the wand. I was flipping through my spell book. Evie's hand shot up.

"What was the second one?" She asked innocently,

"Ok anybody else?" Fairy Godmother asked us, "Sophia." My head shot up,

"C - Give it a bottle." I responded, bored,

"Correct. Again!" Fairy Godmother gushed,

"You are on fire girl!" Carlos exclaimed.

"I just pick the one that sounds like the most boring thing to do." I told them,

"Oh!" Carlos sighed,

"That makes so much sense." Evie whispered. Mal gave her a 'Duh' look. Then, a girl in a pale blue dress with a blue bow in her hair rushed past us and up to the Fairy Godmother. I nudged Evie and Mal who were on either side of me.

"Hello dear one!" Fairy Godmother said sweetly,

"Hi! You need to sign off an early dismissal for the coronation!" The girl shoved a clipboard into the Fairy Godmother's hands as she looked fearfully at us. We all exchanged glances.

"Everyone here remembers my daughter Jane." Fairy Godmother said, not looking at us,

"Mum!" Jane looked back at her.

"It's Ok." Jane's mother assured, she gave Jane back the clipboard. "Jane this is everyone." Fairy Godmother pushed Jane towards us.

"Hi! Don't mind me! As you were." Jane gave a small courtesy. She squeaked and sped us as she walked past our tables.

"Let's continue." Fairy Godmother turned back to the chalkboard. "You find a vial of poison. Do you A - Put it in the King's wine." Evie's hand went slightly up. "B - Paint it on an apple." Evie, Mal and I all gave a short laugh at that. "Or C - Turn it over to the proper authorities." Everybody's hands shot up except mine and Mal's. Jay and Carlos fought to get picked. "Jay."

"C - You turn it over to the proper authorities." He said smugly.

"I was gonna say that." Carlos protested, slapping Jay's arm.

"But I said it first." Jay trapped Carlos in a headlock and started giving him a noogie.

"Boy's." Fairy Godmother warned, tapping her pointer stick lightly on the podium. Jay and Carlos ignored her. I looked up at her and gave her a sorta sheepish smile. "Boys!" She said loudly, catching their attention. "I would encourage you to use that energy on the Tourney field." Pointing at a green field outside the classroom window.

"Oh no." Carlos said, pushing Jay off him, "Whatever that is we-we'll pass." After 'Remedial Goodness 101' had ended, Mal, Evie and I went to our lockers to get our things for our next class with the good guys. Ugh. Evie waited at mine and Mal's lockers while we got our things. Then we heard an obnoxious laugh cut through the air. Audry. I looked up to see her, Ben and another boy.

"Hey." I heard the boy say to Ben, "Those kids are trouble."

"Bye Mal, bye Soph." Evie walked away. I peeked past my locker to see him looking pointedly at Mal and I. They all went quiet when Mal slammed her locker shut and stomped past them.