Close the Barrier

The next day, Ben, Fairy Godmother, Beast, Belle, Mal and I met up to discuss the situation with Hades. After the incident at Cotillion, using my position as Lady of the Court, I had appointed Mal the head of Isle affairs. She needed to be in all discussions involving the Isle, I needed more than one opinion. I dressed in a sleeveless teal dress, a white cardigan and white. My hair was pinned to the left. "I think we all know why we're here." Beast started, "The people are in a panic about Hades. He almost got out."

"Who knows what he would have done if he had escaped." Fairy Godmother added.

"We can't risk having another villain on the loose, not after Maleficent."

"This entire thing feels like my fault." I said, "I-I'm supposed to protect Auradon." I looked away, "I couldn't do anything. I've never been able to do it..."

"Sophia, you have protected Auradon." Ben insisted.

"Every time we open the Barrier, we're exposed to danger. Maleficent, Hades. We're lucky Uma wasn't a threat." A ringing was heard and Ben pulled out his phone. Ben opened it and read the message. He turned to us.

"Maleficent's Scepter and the Queen's Crown have been stolen." He said gravely.

"Who could it have been?" Mal asked.

"When the people her this, they will never want to leave their houses." Belle realised. "What do we tell them? Sophia...Mal..." I looked up when my name was called. "What do we do? How do we keep Evil out of Auradon?" Mal and I looked at each other. Mal nodded at me.

"I...I think the best course of action...is to close the Barrier forever." I said slowly, "It's...it's the only way to keep everyone safe...No one shall enter or leave the Isle from now on." Mal nodded in agreement.

"No." Ben protested. He turned and walked out of the room.

"Ben." I called softly. I followed him into the next room. Ben stopped and turned to me. I took Ben's hands in my own. "The last thing I want to do is take away your dream." I told him, "The fact that you want to look after the kids on the Isle, it's one of the many reasons that made me fall in love with you. But...Ben, we're going to be King and Queen of Auradon soon. As King and Queen, what's our duty."

"To protect Auradon." Ben replied. "But do you know what this would mean? All those kids...are you prepared for that?"

"I-I know what closing the Barrier means." I looked down at mine and Ben's joint hands, my silver ring glinting in the sunlight. "And...honestly...I'm not prepared at all. I...I just think that there's no other choice."

"Ben." Mal called. Ben and I turned to look at her. "Sophia's right. I don't think we'd be able to forgive ourselves is something terrible happened." Beast noded. Mal and I looked at each other. Silently promising each other we weren't gonna tell anyone about our plans to close the Barrier forever.

 Silently promising each other we weren't gonna tell anyone about our plans to close the Barrier forever

I met up with Evie at her little Starter Castle, her home base for 'Evie's 5 Hearts'. Mal had gone to talk to Peter, needing the comfort of the one she loved. We were seated in the greenhouse extension of her home, what she uses as her sewing room. "Who else knows about the Crown and the Scepter?" Evie asked. I had just dropped the news on her that the items were stolen.

"No one." I sighed, my arms crossed, "People are scared enough as it is, if word of this got out it'd be mayhem. We...we now need to employ these entirely new security measures."

"Will this delay our bringing over more VK's?"

"There's talk about shutting the Isle for good." I revealed, "Closing the Barrier forever."

"But you said no. I mean, the five of us are living the dream here, and we finally get to share that. I mean, what could be more important than that?"

"Yeah. I know." I leant against one of the tables. "There's security, the peace of mind for all Auradonians."

"Is that what they're thinking?" Evie asked. "Soph...are they seriously thinking that no one will ever go in and out of the Isle ever again? What, we never go back and see your parents." I looked down at my scarred arms. "And what about these kids? We promised them that they could go back and visit whenever they wanted." Evie stood.

"I know what you're saying, Evie, but I wouldn't go back to my mother. Even if I was given a choice." Evie stepped forward, taking my hand in hers,

"Soph, I'm so glad that you're gonna be Queen." Evie said, "You'll be part of those conversations. You and Mal will stand up for the VK's. Thank you for telling me." Evie and I shared a hug. I saught comfort in it, and I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. When we pulled away, keeping our hands interlocked, "You'll be a great Queen."