Page 3

“How am I not surprised that’s the story you chose to tell?” A masculine voice said from behind me. I straightened up and threw a look over my shoulder. “It’s been a while Kit.” Inoichi stated obviously, forcing my brain to remember how much I missed my father.

                I walked the short distance and hugged him.

                “I regret not coming back sooner.” I told him quietly and closed my eyes, letting myself relax. It had been seventeen years since I had ever had a father figure and Inoichi had been my second one before that. I probably spent more time around him than my own father.

                “Well you’re here now.” He said and then pulled back from me, pushing the hood off my head. He suddenly looked exhausted. “Now I feel old.” He noted and I laughed.

                “You’re not old Inoichi.” I assured him and couldn’t help myself from asking. “Where’s Kasai?” I asked biting my lip and leaning in hopefully.

                “I think she’s still at the academy helping Iruka with something.” Inoichi answered and I nodded.            

                “Nice meeting you Ino.” I smiled at the girl and pulled my hood back on before darting out the door. I ran as fast as I could, pushing the power of my legs to the limit. I was too excited to move at a normal pace. I hadn’t seen my best friend in seventeen years. Well, technically we totally ganged up on a few Kumogakure ninja during the war, but we never even spoke to each other before I went back to Kusagakure.

                Spotting Kasai and who I assumed was Iruka where the targets were set up in the academy yard, I dropped down behind them. They jumped away, drawing kunai and facing me. I decided since they were already ready I would have some fun.

                I turned my head to Iruka gesturing for him to attack. He didn’t hesitate. When I flipped him onto his back before he could get a good cut in Kasai came at me. I kicked her into a tree and stepped on Iruka’s back, taking the kunai before he could recover.

                I made a “tsk” sound with my tongue and examined the kunai. “Is everyone off guard today? First Kotetsu and now you Kasai? I wouldn’t have thought Izumo and Inoichi would be the only ones ready for me.” I said, startling both of them. Kasai still hadn’t caught on.

                “Who are you?” Iruka demanded from below me.

                “Now, now, keep your jacket on chunin. This is nothing to get all worked up about.” I assured him coolly, trying not to get too annoyed that my best friend hadn’t caught on yet. After a few moments of silence I got bored. I sighed and moved my foot off of Iruka, throwing the kunai at Kasai, watching it hit the tree next to her head.

                “Are you okay?” I asked with my hands on my hips, leaning forward to get a slightly closer look at her. “Did your sister steal all your moxy?”  It sure was looking that way.