Page 20

Kakashi chuckled and patted my head. I pushed his hand away and glared at him. “For once could you not treat me like I’m some kid?” I snapped at him, feeling the energy start to come back. “You always do that Kakashi! How many blows are you going to deliver to my self-esteem before you’re happy?” I continued to rage.

“You were a brutal teacher and a blunt friend. Now I don’t know what you are! You make me feel terrible about myself, yet I continued to put myself around you.” By then I was standing up on the bed, leaning forward with my fists clenched.

“Kit…”He began.

“Don’t Kit me, Kakashi! I’m trying to get my damn point across!” I continued.

“Kit, I really think-.” He went on.

“I don’t care what you think about anything!” At that point I was beginning to think I wouldn’t be able to speak by the end of the argument.

“Kit if you don’t…” He trailed off as my knees buckled and I collapsed in a position that left me straddling him. “I was going to say your legs were going to give out.” I crossed my arms and looked away. Before I could argue about anything else he pulled me into a hug, clearly not intending for it to be a quick thing.

“I suppose you were always too young for me to have a childhood crush on, but my father referred to you as “The Cute Hagane Girl”. I never once disagreed with that fact.” He told me, making the moment a little more awkward, but moved on quickly. “Of course, that doesn’t matter now. What does matter is the two fights you still have to win.” He pointed out.

I let out a breath and blinked at the wall. “I don’t think I can do it Kakashi. I know what I need to do, but it seems impossible. If I didn’t know everyone I was fighting it wouldn’t be so difficult.” I said, letting myself warm against him. I closed my eyes. “When a friend becomes an opponent they become the enemy.” I repeated. “My grandmother told me that.” It wasn’t exactly something I wanted to remember, but maybe it would help in some way.

I slid off of Kakashi’s lap, keeping my legs thrown over his for warmth and comfort.

“You three can come back in.” I called, though I knew Sasuke could really care less.

“Do you feel better now Kit-chan?” Naruto asked as he stood in front of me. Sakura waited hopefully next to him.

“I’m alright for now. For the next fight I probably won’t be, but…” I trailed off and shrugged. “Say, how long until the next fight?” I asked Kakashi.