Page 5

I pushed down my hood and blinked the tears from my eyes and sniffed. I hugged my arms around myself and breathed deeply. I was just getting calmed down and then I was on the ground again.

                “I should kill you! Why didn’t you write back to me? I thought you were dead!” Kasai exclaimed, looking ready to cry. Okay, so the surprise thing wasn’t such a good idea.

                “Why would you think I was dead?” I asked, keeping the loud volume to my voice. I had a thing about yelling, but not really being mad at people. Those I don’t know well have to get used to that. It usually freaks them out at first.

                “Because the last time I saw you was when you were being stabbed by a Kusagakure ANBU!” She snapped at me, pushing my shoulders into the ground.

                “Yeah, well I had a little help getting away from that one!” I snapped back. Something clicked in my brain and I looked back from an odd angle at Iruka. “It was your mother I believe. She was very quick.” I hoped by saying that I didn’t step over any boundaries.

                “Well I still hate you Kitto.” Kasai informed me and stood up. I got up as well and sighed.

                “No you don’t. Now, I’ve got more people to see.” I told her and looked to Sakura. “Kakashi is wrong. Go for the neck. If it doesn’t kill them it will limit their head movement; creates blind spots.” I told her before pulling on my hood again and taking off.

                There were two places I needed to go, but would spend less time at the most familiar one.  I ran to the other side of Konoha and into the forest. I leaned against the old wooden fence behind the big house and outstretched a hand.

                “Come on now. I’m not that scary.” I said to the hesitant buck. “You’re a big boy aren’t you? I bet the ladies are all over you.” He took one step closer and I touched his nose. “That’s it, just a little more.” I coaxed. He came close enough for me to really pet him and I smiled. “Good boy, I like your antlers.” I complimented though he probably didn’t understand a word I said.

                “Dad…there’s a woman outside talking to the deer.” I smiled at the voice somewhere behind me and chuckled when I heard the deeper grunt.

                “I was just waiting for the day.” Shikaku said and was behind me soon enough.

                “You’re not going to restrain me are you? People have made a habit of doing that today. First it was Izumo, then Kakashi, and then Kasai who is unreasonably angry with me by the way.” I said without looking away from the buck.

                “Well that’s what happened when you go sneaking up on people looking like that.” Shikaku said. He always knew how to give it straight.