Page 14

That was what I thought about while getting ready for the fights. Lord Hokage had said there would be three and I would personally know all the participants in some way, whether they be friends, family, enemies, or acquaintances.

                I paced the small room, waiting until someone came and got me for the first fight. I rubbed my wrapped forearms and glanced every once in a while at myself in the mirror. I really did look shady with the hood.

                What do I do? What do I do? Someone tell me what to do! Isn’t that what ancestors are for? Dad, grandmother, anyone; what am I supposed to do about this?

                I closed my eyes tightly, pacing, still waiting until I heard it.

                Focus; don’t close your eyes so tightly. Don’t try too hard. Let your movements flow.

                It was my father’s voice first.

                You must show your opponents no mercy, Kitto. When a friend or trusted family member becomes an opponent they become the enemy. They wouldn’t not want you to fail. And if they do happen to be your enemy, now is your chance to show them.

                My grandmother’s voice was last.

                Focus, don’t think too hard, flow, and show no mercy. Those things equal power and I am powerful. What if I have to fight Kakashi? No, Lord Hokage wouldn’t pick Kakashi. That would be too obvious. He’ll pick people I don’t see coming. Who don’t I see coming? Kotetsu? Genma? I would love to knock both of them around a little.

                “Kitto-san?” I opened my eyes and stopped pacing. Sakura and Ino were standing in the doorway. “Kakashi-sensei said we should talk to you before you go out.” Sakura told me.

                I nodded and sat down, the two girls flanking me.

                “Who do you think you’ll fight?” Ino asked as I stared at my hands. After an incident with Kajiya I started wrapping them to my knuckles. It won’t burn any part of my body that is wrapped. My hands tended to get in the way of that.

                “It’s hard to tell. I’ve spent a long time thinking about it. I figure it will be people I won’t expect. Of course, now I’m expecting everyone.” I told them and sighed.

                “Stop being sad about it!” Ino said and pushed my shoulder roughly. “You’re supposed to go out there and kick major butt! Don’t mope about it. Jonin don’t mope!” She announced.

                “Not unless they can’t read.” Sakura grumbled under her breath and I cracked up. “Ino is right though, Kitto-san. I’ve heard about you having a job at Kusagakure. Is it true?” She asked and both girls awaited an answer.