Chapter 9

Anakin Skywalker sat alone in his quarters which seemed to be too empty. His anger burned into his soul. He couldn't believe it, Ahsoka, his little Snips, was really gone and it was clear from what she had said that she wasn't coming back. Even though he'd had all night to think about it and get used to the idea that he no longer had a Padawan, he still couldn't bring himself to let her go. That was the one thing about the Jedi Code that he could never understand. Why did you have to be so detached from everything and everyone? What was wrong with caring for people and making sure that they were alright? He shook his head; despite what the council said and what his former master said, he knew he'd never be able to let go of some people and Ahsoka certainly counted in that. What was it with the Force? Why was it always him who had to lose people? He had already lost his mother and now Ahsoka. He smiled as he thought of her; she'd been so awkward, so opinionated and annoying when he first met her and he could still remember the first time she had called him 'Skyguy'. However, quickly, as the two of them found common ground, she became essential to him; in a different way to Padmé, but essential nevertheless. He still expected to see the young Togruta with a bright grin on her face watching the Holo-Net or helping him to think of ways to torment Obi­-Wan, but no; she really was gone and it was the council's fault; just like it was the council's fault that he couldn't save his mother. Why couldn't the council have trusted Ahsoka like he had? Anakin stopped; had he really trusted her himself? On reflection, yes, but he certainly could've helped her more, he reasoned. Yes, this was his failure as well. Why couldn't he protect people the way he wanted and needed? He had the power to do it, didn't he? Well, he wasn't going to lose Padmé; he promised himself that. The council weren't going to take her away from him like they had his mother and now Ahsoka. 

Anakin's anger and annoyance flared even more when he realised that there was no longer anything he could do about the situation. He had considered running after Ahsoka and trying to find her, but he knew that wouldn't help. She'd said quite explicitly that she needed to sort things out on her own; whatever that actually meant. Besides, he knew that Ahsoka would be difficult to find. After all, she'd managed to stay on the run for almost a week with everyone looking for her. At least if he did find her, he could convince himself that she was safe and perhaps he could convince her to stay at Padmé's. He was certain that his secret wife would allow Ahsoka to live with her. Anakin shook his head; who was he kidding? The council would never allow him to do that. He could practically hear Master Windu or Master Yoda now telling him that a Jedi does not dwell on the past or attachments. In fact, Anakin wouldn't have been surprised if the council members were patting themselves on the back for breaking one of Anakin's attachments. With that thought, Anakin's mechanical hand came into a fist. Anakin was snapped out of his thoughts by knocking on his door. He could clearly sense Obi­Wan Kenobi on the other side, but he was astonished to sense Master Shaak Ti as well. What in the name of the Force was she doing here? Anakin sighed with extreme annoyance; hadn't he told Obi­Wan that he just wanted to be alone? Still, he couldn't let another member of the council see or sense his annoyance and anger. Anakin called on the Force to calm himself, cleared his mind of his emotions as best as he could and opened his front door. He gave a quick bow and then gestured inside. 

"Master Ti, Obi-­Wan; come in." As Master Ti and Obi­-Wan followed him inside, Anakin was taken aback. To his astonishment, he could sense pain, hopelessness and reassignment in Shaak Ti. In fact, he could tell instantly that she was feeling just like him only even more so and that she was putting considerable effort into keeping herself under control. That was a state that he knew all too well and it was nothing new to Anakin, but he'd never seen Shaak Ti experience such problems. Something was wrong; he knew it immediately. Anakin kept his observations to himself as they reached his living room. He gestured to his sofa and calmly said, "Please, take a seat. Can I get you anything?" He smirked, turned to Obi­-Wan and added, "Yes, Master, before you ask; I do have tea." Obi­-Wan rolled his eyes, but responded, "Thank you, Anakin." Shaak Ti also quietly nodded her acceptance, but for the moment, she stayed quiet. To her surprise, Anakin didn't seem anything like as bad as Obi­-Wan had said. Her heart sank as she glanced around and caught sight of the door into the room that, until the day before, had been her daughter's. To Shaak, even though Anakin's quarters were full of droid parts and bits of old ships and electrical components, the quarters still seemed empty. Her daughter's latent Force signature was everywhere and filled the room, but without the actual presence of the young girl, the signature was vacant and distant. Once Anakin had left the room to make the tea, Shaak shook her head and tears appeared in her eyes. Obi­-Wan and Shaak sat in silence for a few minutes before Anakin entered the room again with two cups of steaming tea. As was typical of anything involving Anakin, neither cup matched the other one or the saucer that they were on. In fact, Shaak remembered that Obi­-Wan would joke quite frequently in council meetings about Anakin's rather poor domestic abilities. Anakin handed Obi­-Wan and Shaak their respective teas, before he sat down himself in a chair opposite to the sofa. "What can I do for you?" he asked. Calling on the Force to calm herself, Shaak gave a few deep breaths. She firmly believed that Anakin wouldn't be quite so calm after hearing what she had to tell him, but she had made the decision to tell him.