Chapter 6: For Sammy

Cas' POV

I wait patiently outside of my house for Dean. The cool air bites at my exposed ears and I pull my trench coat tighter around myself. I see Dean's car pull out of his driveway and I begin walking down the street, hoping to work some warmth into my limbs.

Dean grins as he pulls over next to me.

"Need a ride Cas?" I roll my eyes at him and open the back door, sliding into the warm interior. Dean smiles and begins driving to school, but something's off about him today. I observe him closely, his usual worn jeans, work boots and a tight black shirt with...no jacket over it. I frown at him, Dean was always cold. I'd noticed that whenever I touched him or anything he always felt cold. But today was freezing outside, so why isn't he wearing a jacket?

But that's not what's wrong, I turn to observe Sam because if something was wrong with Sam, Dean would be upset. Sam was bundled up in a jacket too big for him and a thick scarf but he looked fine. I tilted my head to the side and noticed that Sam's jacket was actually Dean's. 

Maybe it had something to do with his soul, I concentrated and observed their souls. Sam's was fine, happy even, but Deans...Deans was sad.

My heart constricts in my chest as the beginnings of an idea form, maybe they were poor, that would explain the numerous jobs, the absence of necessary items and their motel. I frown to myself and wonder about the life of Sam and Dean Winchester on the way to school but one question keeps circling around in my head.

Where are their parents?

*         *          *          *

We pull into school and Sam bounds out of the car to class, waving at Dean with a grin on his face. I cross my arms and glare at Dean, his response is to study his hands and blush.

"Well?" I demand "Are you going to explain or not?" He shudders slightly and my anger dissipates, and when his voice cracks my heart breaks a little.

"What do you want to know Cas? Ask away." I place a hand on his shoulder and inhale sharply when he flinches at the touch. I wasn't used to this broken Dean, I knew him as arrogant and over confident, not shy and sad. I clear my throat and ask the questions that have been in my head all day.

"Where are your parents? Why do you have so many jobs? Why are always tired? If you work so many jobs, why don't you eat?" They all fall out of my mouth in a rush and Deans shoulder hunch forwards as he begins to answer.

"My mum died in a house fire when I was four, my dads never around much." He shrugs slightly and my heart squeezes in my chest. They were almost alone.

"I have so many jobs because I need to pay the rent, buy food and pay for our education. The jobs are the reason I'm tired." He trails off and looks at the time, grabbing the car door handle he opens it and stumbles out of the car, almost face planting. I scramble out of the car and put a steadying hand on his shoulder, my eyes widening in worry at how pale Dean really was. 

"Come on Cas, class is about to start, we can talk at lunch, okay?" I frown and reluctantly agree. We walk to class together and a few times I had to subtly keep him upright, it was terrifying me. We hurry into class and Dean practically collapses into a chair. I hear him groan and flinch when I touch his shoulder, pulling my hand back quickly I frown at his hunched figure.

*          *          *          *   

We wander out of class to lunch and I notice that, once again, Dean doesn't have lunch. I grip his arm tightly, ignoring his wince of pain and drag him to a quiet spot underneath a willow tree. The grass is soft and the light green leaves wave in front of our faces, shielding us from everyone else. We could still observe the people outside but they wouldn't disturb us.