The morning after

Hestia Grace became a case worker when she was 23. She had been doing it for 12 years now, and yet she had never been in a situation quite like this.

She was sitting in the waiting room at Queens Hospital Center. She had been waiting since 6 in the morning. It was know 10:06 am.

After a man named Gabe Ugliano was arrested for child abuse (after someone filed for a domestic violence report) Hestia was sent to this hospital in Queens, New York City, New York.

Despite Hestia living in Maine with the rest of her family, she was often called to other states for cases that were considered fragile.

There wasn't much glory in the child service industry, the pay wasn't that great either, but Hestia was wonderful at her job and had got the attention of multiple agencies.

Hestia had dealt with all sorts of kids and situations yet she had never seen a case of child abuse so bad before.

The victim was named Perseus Jackson. He was 16 years old and lived in Queens New York City. He went to Goode High School. He worked at a coffee shop in Brooklyn and lived with his mother and step dad until 6 months ago when she died of cancer.

That was about all she New of the boy. Hestia had never met him before and yet , like all her cases, she felt as if the child were her own.

*********************************
Around 12 Percy was awake. By 12:30 Hestia was allowed to meet him. Around 1 in the afternoon Percy decided he did not like the women.

Percy could never stand people who wanted to pry inside his life.

Those people at the store pressuring you to buy, not understanding that you don't have the money. The teachers worried about the bruises on your face because they think your getting into fights. The doctors asking you what happened after you wake up there three days after a beating. The people at school trying to be your friend because you look lonely and don't talk much.

Didn't these people understand that you don't want to talk about it? Don't they understand that it's none of there business? Don't they understand that you don't talk because it would open up a flood of emotions who would rather hide away until night where you could cry in the dark, silent and alone? Don't they under stand that there is a reason you don't talk?

Hestia apparently did not understand. She kept asking questions, kept prying.

Percy didn't want to say anything until Gabe decided on the story they would tell.

When Percy was sent to the hospital after one of Gabe's beatings, Gabe would always come up with a story on how it happened, but Gabe wasn't here. So where was he?

Percy had tried dodging Hestia's questions at first. But soon had to stop answering all together. He didn't know what to say without blowing everything.

If Percy told anyone what Gabe had done to him Gabe would kill Percy. Percy new that. Gabe had told him. And Gabe was not one to make empty threats on Percy.

Once Percy had thought Gabe was just all talk.

Gabe was married to Percy's mom, Sally, when Percy was 3. After they where married Gabe would sometimes watch Percy when Sally was at work. If Percy was too loud or being disrespectful Gabe would threaten to hit him. And pretty soon those threats turned into reality.

Gabe used to hide it from Sally. But soon all the bruises on Percy was too hard to hid. And the drugs Sally was using was making it too hard to care.

Sure she loved her son but she also loved her husband. And her husband loved to hit her son. So who was she to deny him?

Percy pretty munched zoned out of the conversation he was having with Hestia. When Hestia asked him what was the matter Percy told her he was tired and his head hurt. She didn't seem to believe him but she gave him some medication and turned off the lights anyway.

The next day Percy was sent into the foster care system. He would stay there until Hestia could figure out what happens to his biological father.

If the man in question happens to be dead or unfit to parent Hestia would try to get him adopted, but at his current age that was nearly impossible.