Supposed to happen

Percy POV

Percy liked to walk to Poseidon's house after school. He could take the bus or ride with Triton (who had reluctantly offered at his dads insistence) but Percy decided to walk.

He liked the cool winter air on his face. Sometimes, after he reminded himself that he wouldn't get a beating for coming home later than expected, he would go to the park or walk the long way through rolling hills. Sometimes he'd even go to the beach.

Not to swim or socialize, it was too cold for that and most people didn't go to the beach in winter, but just to look.

But today on his walk home he did have a set destination.

It took Percy 3 weeks to collect the change he needed (from under sofa cushions) and another week to work up the courage to do it. But today was the day.

As he approach the phone booth he felt queasy and almost turned around like he had done so many times before but he realized that he hadn't come all this way for nothing, at least not again.

And so he entered two dollars worth of mix match coins into the slot and punched in one of the three numbers he knew by heart.

He was calling Rachel.

They had been friends since 6th grade. She was a rich girl from the rich side of town. But after begging her parents to take her out of privet school and into to good 'ol public education did she meet Percy and Grover.

It was the first time Percy really had friends.

When it first started Percy wasn't sure if it was a blessing or a curse.

On one hand his first friend Grover and the later addition Rachel were a god scent way to be like a normal kid. 

He had someone to talk to at school and to distract him from what was going on at home.

But on the other hand it made it harder to hide what was going on at home.

He had always worn long sleeves and pants to hid scars and bruises but now he had to come up with reasons why he was wearing a sweater when it was nearly summer.

He had to find excuses for the black eyes and limps.

He had to explain why he could never hang out.

And a part of him knew that they were catching on but the bigger part of him didn't care because he had friends. He had someone to make him laugh. He had someone to confide in though he rarely did.

But now he didn't have any friends. At least he didn't have friends that lived in a 30 mile radius.

And so he called.

She picked up on the second ring.

"Percy is that you."

"Yeah, glade u remembered our payphone thing."

"Oh, Percy. Me and Grover were so worried when you didn't show up for school. We thought...... WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US!!, my god we could of done something sooner and-"

"Sooner?" Percy questioned.

There was a pause.

"Oh Percy, I...... I thought you knew."

"Knew what."

"That it was me. That I was the one who called in the report."

"Report?"

"Please don't be angry. We did it to protect you."

"We? Protect me? Rachel what are you talking about,"

Percy's voice started to break and his eyes began to tear up. This couldn't be happening.

"It was me and Grover. We filed a report."

"You went behind my back."

"You weren't talking to us Percy. We aren't stupid. We saw the limps and the black eyes and we knew you were cutting yourself. And we knew about the way your step dad was especially after your mom...."

"Don't you dare talk about her."

"Percy-"

"You have no right. What the hell Rach. I thought we were friends. You couldn't of asked me before you went to the police? Do u know what it was like? I had to spend weeks in foster care with these horrible kids and these awful fake parents. And now they've sent me off to fucking Mane to go live with my dad that I didn't even knew existed. But now I have to live with there perfect family and there perfect house and there fucking perfect life and I try to call you and now this..."

"Percy I-"

"You didn't know. Me either, until it was happening."

" Percy you have to understand this wasn't what was supposed to happen."

"Then tell me rachel what the fuck was supposed to happen. What? That you would take Gabe away and all my problems would be fixed. That my mom would magically come back and I'd become spontaneously happy."

"No"

"Then what. What the fuck did you and Grover think was supposed to happen when you went behind my back and got me sent off to go live with-"

"We didn't know about your dad"
Rachel yelled back "but your calling him dad?"

"I have to go."

"Percy wait-"

The phone went dead.

Short too but too updates in one day I'm on fire.

As always thx for reading.