03. Caught and the Announcement

~ Revised and Edited ~

Amos continued to watch Ella until she disappeared  into the multitude. 

He was taken aback at how a young maiden such as herself did not waste any moment for the Duke to return his greeting nor her sister who was taking massive amounts of time curtsying. 

Stunned expressions and murmurs filled the air from those who continued to watch the Duke as he greeted every lady who stood before him. All but one who had left before the Duke could say a word. 

It was in that moment that Amos had made his decision. 

As though bringing him back to reality, Amos hadn't realised what he had gotten himself into when he absentmindedly responded to Naomi: 

"Yes?" He had not recalled what she had said. 

Despite his questionable response, curious to know what he had failed to hear, Naomi only took his response as a full unquestioning answer. 

"Thank you for accepting my request for a dance, Your Grace." 

Amos froze. Well, if he weren't already an icy pillar than that would've been the case.

It was too late to turn back time now and with all the eyes intently studying the Duke, he could only do what was expected of nobility. And that was to be noble and take her for a dance. 

Forcing a somewhat of a smile, he led Naomi to the dance floor leaving the rest of the ladies who had been eagerly waiting to greet the Duke furious. 

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Four dances later, Amos finally managed to escape from a very persistent Naomi who insisted for another dance every time the music would come to an end and would begin another tune. 

He had managed to distract her with another eligible man for five seconds at least before she turned to realise that the Duke who was right beside her had suddenly disappeared into thin air. Nowhere to be seen. 

Evidently to the pot plant that protected him from sight, Amos peered over its branches to check if the coast was clear. 

A disappointed Naomi, after scanning the entire ballroom that was in her sight, gave up and stormed off further away from the Duke. 

Sighing in relief at his successful attempt to escape from one more suffocating dance and a very persistent female, he began to scan the entire ballroom until he came across the one thing he had been searching for. 

Although, his attempts to escape from a civilised dance with a young lady did not place him particularly as 'noble' he cared nonetheless for he had only one goal which had been predetermined before and for the grand ball hosted for the evening. To find himself a wife as soon as necessarily possible. 

And that had already been accomplished when he laid eyes on the one particular maiden who carried the name:

Miss Ella Pearson. Amos thought. 

Determined for his goal, Amos began to make his way towards the one thing he had been searching for. 

Ella, unaware of the dominant figure approaching her, continued to put her escape plan into action. She was in luck that her mother Jennifer had not witnessed Ella's abrupt actions before the Duke. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been peacefully enjoying her paradise. 

After devouring enough of the paradise she successfully reunited herself with, she had asked a nearby servant to bring her a napkin. A very large and sturdy napkin that could carry loads amount of food as if going on a family picnic. Only it was a family picnic for one.