11. Battling Conscience

~Not Edited~

An endless galaxy.

The only thing that circulated throughout Ella's unconscious state of mind, whirling in deep pools of ecstatic measure, as though relieving and pleasurable but was only suffocating and painstaking to endure. Ella wondered about in the vast opening of the millions of stars that surrounded her vision. She fought for no reason but understood well enough that she was in a different yet peculiar dimension that was away from the normal world she knew.

"Where am I?" Ella curiously asked herself when she finally noticed the strange difference.

With a mysterious reply that was only her conscious voice:

"You're contemplating whether to wake up or continue down critical misery and embarrassment."

"I don't understand. What did I do to deserve this? Why am I here?" Ella asks the mystery voice, obviously oblivious to the events that have occurred.

"You'll know soon. But be mindful Ella, don't make the same mistake twice. It'll only hurt you even more," The voice replied cautiously.

"What?" Ella said dumbfounded and unsure of what that meant.

"It's time to wake up now, Ella," The voice warned.

"Wait, what do you –"

But as soon as she said that, the endless galaxy fades away into complete darkness and slowly yet surely, faint voices began to enhance Ella's hearing and surrounding.

"Ella? Ella? Are you alright?" The petite voice sounded familiar.

Ella slowly fluttered her eyes open to meet three familiar faces hover above her with full anxiety and worriedness plastered across their expressions.

"Oh, Ella!" Freda exclaimed in relief seeing Ella conscious again, followed by Lizabeth and Delia who was also relieved too.

Suddenly it all came back to Ella. The plan, the dinner, the dance, and her unfortunate state.

What have I done? Ella internally interrogates herself shamefully.

"We were worried sick about you," She begins worriedly while Ella arises faintly, still a little bit dizzy. "The Duke was more worried than any of us. He came straight away from his meeting when he had heard what happened to you."

"The Duke was worried about me?" Ella asked curiously, wanting to know if she heard right or not.

Ella specifically recalled that the Duke had to leave early in the morning for a business meeting down in town which is why she found it strange that he was even worried to come as soon as possible when he had heard the news.

Which did get Ella thinking:

Wait, so who saved me if it weren't Amos?

"Yes. Indeed, he was. But you were fortunate enough to be saved. It's not every day that you find the future-duchess-to-be sweating herself to death, almost drown within a water fountain, and faint in shock for no particular reason," Lizabeth replied sarcastically but with a more worried tone.

"You should have been more careful Ella," Delia also joined in with the same worried tone and expression while Ella searched the room to realize that she was in her own chambers.

Ella was still in quite a shock with two things she wanted to certify;

One: Where was Amos and why was he worried?

Two: Who saved me if it weren't the Duke?

Before she tried to get out of her resting place to find out and certify these two things herself, she is immediately stopped by her three maids.