Chapter 10: I'll Stay With You

"Carlos Yap, an Architecture freshman at Malaya University, was found dead around 10:22 PM last night in the lobby of the Architecture Building. His neck was slashed, his organs were removed from his body, and were torn to pieces. Police reported that Yap asked the guards to retrieve some things from his locker and was given a five-minute allowance to enter the university premises. The guards started to look for Yap when he had yet to return after around fifteen minutes and that was when they found his already lifeless body. Police are still investigating the case. Speculations of suicide were immediately dismissed given the way he died. The parents of Yap refused to have an interview and asked for time and privacy to grieve for their son. We will get back to you for Malaya University's statement on this incident."

The brutal killing of the Malaya University freshman was all over the news the next morning. MU decided to suspend their class for the day to make way for police investigation.

While everyone was puzzled as to who killed the young man, the Ahrens knew who to blame - the Katahas. Carlos was killed just the way how all Katahas end the lives of their victims.

Yael clenched his fists in anger.

He and his family as well as his friends Sam, Regan, and Maia were all watching the news in the Romualdez's living room. They were all furious with what happened.

"Nagsisimula na sila. They should be stopped!" Cried Maia, who is also an Architecture student. She knows Carlos since they are org mates. "Carlos is a good kid. Hindi siya dapat nadamay dito."

"Walang sinumang inosente ang dapat na madamay dito. But no one saw this coming." Yael's grandmother, Carmela, said. "Yael is turning 21 in a few months at ang sugong Kataha ay ganun din. Isa itong babala."

"I am certain that this is their warning to us, that they are already starting." Pahayag ni Yael. "Sam and Maia, gather all the Ahrens around the area. Magpapalitan tayo sa pagbabantay sa MU. Nasa MU ang sugong Kataha, nararamdaman ko, at magbabantay tayo mula umaga hanggang gabi."

"Yes, Yael." Sabay na sagot ni Sam at Maia. Kumilos na ang dalawa para kausapin ang mga kapwa nila Ahren na malapit sa MU.

"Regan," Tawag ni Yael sa kaibigan. "Investigate further on the Katahas. Kailangan na nating matukoy kung sino sila as soon as possible. Their vibes are strong around the campus more than anywhere else but their powers conceal who they are."

"I know, Yael." Sagot ni Regan. "Based on my analysis, around 4% of MU's population ay mga Kataha. Inaral ko ang mga katangian nila based on the records of our ancestors. What they have in common ay ang pagpapanggap nila na mababait sa mga tao. It's like they try first na kunin ang loob ng mga ito, then kapag nakuha na nila, that is when they attack. A good example is Mayor Juanito Hontiveros and his wife. Naging maayos na pinuno ito na talagang minahal ng mga tao. He called for a party at their mansion and there, they killed almost half of the population of their town."

"Hontiveros?" Kinabahan si Yael. He knows two persons with that surname.

"Sa Malaya, there are about 300 students with the surname Hontiveros and posibleng ilan sa kanila ang descendants nina Juanito Hontiveros." Sagot ni Regan. "Since the mayor had been killed by Sir Benedicto Romualdez, his family's whereabouts became unknown to history. Nagtago sila kaya't mahirap itrace kung sino ang kanilang mga kalahi."

Please, I hope Katherina is not one of them. Yael prayed.

"Sige, Regan. Please provide me with more information on this." Sambit ni Yael.

"Yes, Yael. Katahas also have above average intelligence and physical strength kaya't kahit hindi nila gamitin ang kanilang mga kapangyarihan ay mas malakas pa rin sila kaysa sa normal na tao." Ika ni Regan. "I tried to investigate on the backgrounds of the Hontiveros in Malaya, and I was able to trim down their numbers."