Chapter 52: Our Vows

It was 5:30 in the afternoon, just a few minutes before the sun bid its goodbye to the day

It was 5:30 in the afternoon, just a few minutes before the sun bid its goodbye to the day. Katherina and Yael were walking hand in hand towards a meadow full of wild flowers. The wind was blowing gently around them and all the sounds they could hear were the crunching of the dried leaves they were stepping on and the songs of the crickets.

It was a beautiful afternoon. Yael was wearing a white polo and khaki slacks that Mang Simon lent him.

Katherina was donning a simple white, knee-length dress that the old man's spouse Veronica lent to her as well. The ends of her hair were curled, and her head was adorned with a crown made from the flowers in the elderly couple's rich garden.

She was a truly astonishing sight for Yael, and he could not remember seeing anyone else as beautiful and as wonderful as Katherina.

If given a choice, Yael would marry her in a church, with a priest solemnizing the ceremony. Heck, even a judge or mayor would do. However, their current situation, their young age, and the country's law did not serve them well.

Still, it did not faze him; his decision to marry her was firm, and he only needed the presence of three in their wedding – him, her, and the Lord in heaven. Katherina understood this even without him telling her about it.

They spoke no words as they continued their walk until she broke the silence.

"Sigurado ka ba dito, Yael?" Katherina asked him. Her voice was sad and scared.

"Sigurado ako sa'yo, Katherina. Siguradong-sigurado." He smiled and squeezed her hand. It calmed her.

Buo na ang loob ni Yael. Pakakasalan niya ang babaeng minamahal niya sa harap ng Diyos, at sabay nilang lalabanan ang propesiyang ibinato sa kanila ng tadhana. They might be powerless for now, but Yael will bravely fight their destiny and not let a prophecy dictate their future.

Yael and Katherina faced each other. The colorful flowers and green grass served as their decorations; the mountains, the trees, and the clouds were their guests; the sunset served as their spotlight.

The Lord in heaven was their priest, their shield, their rock, their sole witness – and in that beautiful moment, they knew that He was the only One they need.

All Yael could see was Katherina's face; it filled his vision and overwhelmed his mind. Her eyes were big and bright; her perfect face was a severe canvass of her emotions. As she met his awed gaze, she broke into a breathtaking smile.

He could not help himself – he touched the warmth of her cheek, and he knew he was home.

"Andito na tayo, Love." Yael smiled and brought his tongue to his cheek. "Bakit parang kinabahan ako bigla?"

Katherina laughed as she too, did not know the right words to say. But she was happy. "Paano ba magpakasal?" She asked.

"Hindi ko rin alam." Yael answered. He attended lots of weddings before, and watched fictional weddings on tv and movies, but he realized that it was different when it was your own, more so for their unique situation. "Pero ito ang alam ko Katherina – mahal na mahal kita at ikaw ang gusto kong makasama hanggang sa aking pagtanda. Sino bang mag-aakala na yung babaeng tinulungan ko nung freshmen orientation ay magiging ganito ang impact sa buhay ko?" He reminisced and smiled. "Back then, I already felt that I want to know you, I want to protect you. Nakakainis kasi si Sam e, hinila ako papuntang stage kasi tinatawag na raw ako ng dean namin. Kahit kelan talaga epal yung lalaking yun. E di sana, nakapagpakilala ako sa'yo agad." The couple giggled in chorus then Yael turned serious again. "Katherina, minsan hinihiling ko na sana talaga nakilala kita nang mas maaga, but I know that God makes everything beautiful in His time. Ibinigay ka Niya sa akin sa panahong akala ko, wala na akong kahinaan – noong panahong pakiramdam ko ay ang kailangan ko lang gawin dito sa mundo ay ang tuparin ang propesiya.." Both Katherina and Yael felt a tug on their hearts upon the mention of the prophecy, but they knew that it would always be part of their story. "Noong mga panahong wala akong pangarap para sa sarili ko..Aaminin ko, tao lang din ako, at kahit sabihin pa na ako ang sugo ng mga Ahren, hindi ko rin maiwasang kwestyunin ang kapalaran ko. Tinatanong ko ang sarili ko kung iyon ba talaga ang gusto ko. Oo, pangarap kong mabuhay sa isang mundong payapa na wala ang mga masasamang Kataha pero pagkatapos nun, ano nga ba? Para saan nga ba ako nabubuhay? Ano bang pangarap ko para sa sarili ko?"