Chapter 36: Poison and Wine

"Mama, I cooked breakfast. Kain na tayo." Amanda nervously approached Sofia who was busy working in her office that morning.

"Go ahead, I already had coffee." Sofia answered coldly without even giving a glance at her adopted daughter.

"Ma.." Amanda was on the verge of crying. Mula nang umalis si Regan sa kanilang bahay noong nagdaang araw ay hindi na siya halos kinikibo ng itinuturing na ina. "Lalamig yung pagkain."

Sofia stopped typing on her laptop and took a deep breath. "I told you to go ahead. Pati sa pagkain, hindi mo ako pakikinggan?" Her tone hurt Amanda.

The young woman started to cry. "Mama, ginawa ko lang naman yun para sa'yo. We might still find a way to defy the prophecy--"

"How many times did I tell you na matagal ko nang tanggap na mamamatay ako sino man ang manalo sa digmaan, Amanda? Sa tagal ko na dito sa mundo, siguro naman I deserve to die already?!" Sofia stood up in anger. Napakapit na siya sa lamesa sa kanyang harapan. "Amanda, tinalikuran ko na ang pagiging Vasilissa Sofia ko. Matagal na."

"Pero Mama, paano naman ang sugong Kataha at sugong Ahren? Nagmamahalan sila! Hahayaan na lang ba natin na magpatayan sila?" Amanda was crying hysterically. She is filled with sadness for her mother, for Regan, and even for Yael and Katherina. Their story and their tragic destiny broke her heart even though she had yet to meet the two. Regan's desperation and how he broke down the other day was enough to show her how pityful Yael and Katherina were.

"They are none of our business!" Sofia said angrily.

"Mama! Si Katherina ay anak ni Diana, ng matalik mong kaibigan. How is she not part of your business?!" Amanda shouted in frustration.

The older woman was taken aback ngunit matigas pa rin ang ekspresyon nito. "Makakaalis ka na, Amanda. Kumain ka na." Tuluyan na itong tumalikod sa anak.

Amanda was still crying. Hindi na nito alam ang gagawin upang kumbinsihin ang ina. "Mahal kita, Mama. At ayoko lang na magsisi ka ulit sa huli tulad ng dati." She went out of the room and closed the door.

Standing in her favorite spot, Sofia was staring at her subtle reflection in the glass mirror. There was not even a small wrinkle on her face, nor a single gray strand on her hair, despite being alive for more than a hundred years.

Only her heart was so old and weary already.

When she looked into the glass again, and she swore she saw her mother, Amaia, beside her reflection. "Piliin mo ang kabutihan, anak. Piliin mo ang pagmamahal."

Then suddenly, her mom was gone.

"Diana.." At nagsimula nang tumulo ang mga luha ni Sofia na kanina pa niya pinipigilan.

-----

"And in this crazy life, and through this crazy times, it's you, it's you.." It was the night of the dance and Yael was singing along to the radio in his car while driving to Katherina's house. He was in such a good mood and he feels like nothing could ruin his night because he would be with the love of his life.

He was excited about how Katherina would look like. She felt too shy about showing him beforehand what she would be wearing so Yael knew that he's up for a surprise.

She would still look like a goddess and would still be the fairest of them all, kahit ano pang suot niya. Ika ni Yael sa sarili. Napangiti ng di oras ang binata.

Kumatok si Yael sa pintuan ng bahay nina Katherina. Manang Feliza opened it for him and gave him a soft smile. Clara was nowhere in sight.

"Tatawagin ko lang si Katherina." The old lady told him. "Maupo ka muna diyan."