Chapter 41: Lucille's Vow

(A/N: Originally, this flashback was supposed to be a three-chapter special; but after much thought, I think it would be better to divide it into four parts.

This will be the third part of Clara and Lucille's Memories Arc. Here, the original actors - Cherie Gil, Angel Aquino, and Lara Quigaman - will already be the ones to play the roles of the Hontiveros sisters.)

-----

7 years later2:30 in the morningNew York City, NY

7 years later
2:30 in the morning
New York City, NY

Clara Hontiveros, now 25, bid goodbye to her co-workers as another night in the restaurant ended. It was a packed evening for the five-star dining place, and Clara just cannot wait to reach their apartment and rest her tired legs while sipping some chamomile tea.

She rode a bus and took a seat near the back. Given the hour, only a handful of people were there with her, which she was thankful for.

Clara stared at her blurry reflection on the window, and she saw how much she changed over the years. Seven years had already passed since she and Diana came to this foreign place, and she was beyond thankful for those years because it granted her of her dream to become a chef at a famous restaurant. It also brought her and her sister the peace they were longing for back in the Philippines.

Dito sa New York, malaya ang magkapatid. They were away from the complications and demands brought by being Katahas, and for once, they felt that they were just ordinary humans living ordinary lives.

Upon reaching their apartment, Clara went straight to the kitchen to make herself some tea to help her sleep better.

Aaaah, the smell of chamomile tea. She smiled as she took in the relaxing aroma of the drinky. Agad na umupo ang dalaga sa isang upuan sa kanilang maliit na kusina, but before doing so, she caught sight of a bundle of unopened letters resting on top of the table.

Bumuntong-hininga ang dalaga. Hindi talaga sila napapagod magpadala ng sulat.

Clara sipped from her cup and and closed her eyes. She just wanted to free her mind from everything. It was her way to rest; she developed a habit of blocking sad and negative thoughts off her mind at night to give her a sense of tranquility.

Wala siyang ibang nais ngayon kundi ang pangtuunan ng pansin ang kasalukuyan niyang buhay kasama ng bunsong kapatid.

A few moments later, she stood up to go inside the bedroom she shared with Diana. They were already in their 20's but they were still sharing a room, as requested by the younger Hontiveros. Not that Clara minded it; she actually enjoyed the company of her sister.

Agad na tumambad kay Clara ang isang natutulog na Diana na yakap-yakap ang sketchpad nito. Halatang nakatulog ito habang nagtatrabaho. The latter is slowly making a name for herself in the fashion industry as a designer and model here in New York, and Clara could not help but be so proud of her.