Chapter 64: Darkness

Earlier.

Cedric and Sofia's eyes went wide with terror upon realization of what was happening, which puzzled Katherina.

"Someone performed the ultimate forbidden spell." Sofia gasped. "Isang nilalang ang nag-imbita ng libu-libong demonyo at masasamang espiritu upang manahan sa kanyang katawan."

"Si Lucille." Cedric answered. He was sure of it.

Katherina returned to her true form, and the sudden twist of the situation filled her chest with a brandnew heaviness and fear for what might transpire in the next few hours.

Sofia stiffened and fixed her eyes towards the other end of the forest. "Nakawala sila."

"Who?" Cedric asked.

Hindi gusto ng binata ang presensiyang kanyang nararamdaman.

"Ang anak ko!" The Vasilissa's mind was clouded with fear for Amanda's safety. "They were able to break free from the barrier I put to protect them!" In panic, she immediately fled from the area, leaving the twins confused.

"Cedric, kailangan nating puntahan si Lucille! Kailangan natin siyang pigilan! Sigurado akong bumubuo na siya ng hukbo laban sa mga Ahren." There was a sense of panic in Katherina's voice as she began to move towards the dark presence in the forest.

No, my existence in this world as the Chosen Kataha is more than enough. Hindi na pwedeng maghasik pa lalo si Lucille ng kasamaan! Wala nang inosentent buhay ang dapat madamay! Katherina felt blood rise up her head, as she knew the extent of her aunt's evilness, all in the name of power.

"Sandali lang, Kath." Cedric gripped sister's arm, stopping her. She turned around to see his pleading eyes. "Huwag ka nang pumunta doon. Ako na lang. Please." His hand was cold and sweaty against her skin.

Katherina felt a twinge in her chest. She knew what this was all about. "Ced.."

"Napatawad mo na ba talaga ako sa lahat ng mga nagawa ko?" He cleared his throat, his eyes focused on hers, serious.

Katherina looked down and stared at her brother's hand. If she would be completely honest with herself, she still thought of Clara everytime she looked at Cedric. But more than her second mother's tragic death, her love for the twins far outweighed Katherina's grief and anger.

And she wanted to believe that their parents and Clara never would have wanted for her and Cedric to continue resenting each other.

"Oo, Cedric. Napatawad na kita." Katherina said. She paused. "Or at least, pinipilit ko. Gustong-gusto kong patawarin ka. Dahil minamahal tayo ng mga magulang natin. Dahil kapatid kita. Dahil mahal kita."

Cedric looked relieved. "Sa ngayon, sapat na iyon sa akin, Katherina."

"I know what you're doing. Huwag mo akong pigilang sumama sa'yo sa nagaganap labanan." Ika ng dalaga. "Hindi pwedeng wala ako doon. I need to end this once and for all."

"Only one will remain." Cedric recited the last line of the prophecy. "Isa lang ang matitira, Katherina. At naniniwala akong may dahilan kung bakit tayo ipinanganak na kambal. What if it meant having one of us remain here after the other one dies along with all the Katahas? Only one will remain to start anew, to live a redeemed life after all the evilness of Katahas since the beginning? Baka iyon ang totoo mong tungkulin bilang sugo, kapatid ko. To live a redeemed life. Walang imposible. Gusto kong subukan."

Cedric had a point, but for Katherina, it did not feel right. For her, all Katahas must vanish from this world. Countless lives, whether human or Ahren, were taken away by the evilness of her kind and she should not let it continue.