Alternate Chapter 18

Ashton's P.O.V

"I'm taking the kids out for ice cream, we should be back in an hour or so." Calum stated in a rushed tone as he ushered the kids into the back seat of the car.

"Can I come, I need to talk to you about something?" Calum gave me a look that I couldn't quite understand.

"I don't know if that's the best idea. You know the kids will be there and...." I cut him off before he could continue

"We can take them to the park after." Calum looked as if he was really conflicted. "It's important." Calum sighed before nodding.

"Thanks." I gave him a small smile before walking to the passenger side and climbing in.

"Daddy!" Nala and Brooklyn excitedly stated before reaching forward and hugging me from the back seat. I kissed each of their hands before looking out the window to see Calum walking back and forth with his phone pressed to his ear. He looked completely stressed out as he spoke back to the person on the other line while running his hand through his hair.

It wasn't long before Calum hung up the phone and got in the car and began to drive. The car was silent until Calum finally turned on the radio. Something was wrong but I didn't know what and I wasn't sure if I should ask. The car ride seemed longer than normal as the kids sat in the back playing with their stuffed animals or went into games of I spy.

"Uncle Ashton?" I looked back to see London looking at me

"Yes darling?" She gave me a serious look that I've never seen a nine year old possess

"What happened to Adam?" My eyes went widen as I began to choke on my own spit. I looked over to see Calum's face grow hard as he sped up the car. His knuckles turning white as he clenched the steering wheel.

"What made you ask that, sweetheart?" I was practically shaking as I thought of what to say

"I heard mommy crying last week saying that she missed Adam so daddy pulled her into his room and I heard him say it was all your fault." My heart pounded in my chest as Calum slammed his hand on the steering wheel

"What did I tell you about listening in on me and your mother's conversation?" Calum spat. I could tell he wasn't mad at London and at Me instead but by the way she shrunk down in her seat I could tell she thought it was for her. The car fell silent, the only thing that could be heard was light music coming from the radio.

"I'm sorry, I just..." Her bottom lip quivered

"I don't want to hear it. When we get home you're in trouble." London was now full on crying as Dylan hugged her, trying to calm her down. I unbuckled my seatbelt before reaching back and pulling London to me but before I could place her on my lap Calum snapped.

"Don't touch my daughter, I don't want you hurting another one of my children." London tensed once she heard what Calum had said. I was about to place her back in her seat but we had already pulled up to the Ice cream place so I gently sat her on my lap. Calum parked the car and I quickly let London out before climbing out and helping the rest of the kids out.

"Can I have an orange sherbet, uncle?" Dylan tugged at my arm. All the kids gravitated towards me, too afraid to be around Calum right now. I gave her a quick nod before holding open the door for them. They excitedly jumped up and down when they got to the register. The woman rolled her eyes at them causing anger to build in me.

"What do you want?" She spat clearly having a bad day. I quickly stepped in front of them and the moment I did the woman gave me a smirk before standing up straight and pushing out her chest.