Twenty

Hospital

Peridot hung up.

She looked around, taking a moment to process the words that came out of Amethyst's mouth. The blonde girl suddenly snapped back into reality and began to gather her things.

"Miss Diamond?" Bo asked. Peridot looked at him, hands trembling. "I-I've gotta go. It's been nice meeting you all and I'm so sorry for wasting your time but there's someone who needs me." She said hastily.

Peridot ran out of the room after that, scurrying to her car.

The pale girl quickly reached her car and got in, revving the engine. She pulled out of the driveway, a screech coming from her tires. She slammed her foot on the gas pedal.

As she sped down the road, Peridot tried to process what exactly was happening.

Lapis overdosed..

Okay, yeah. She understood that.

Lapis is going to be taken to the hospital.

Obviously.

Lapis could die.

No. She didn't understand. She didn't want to understand that Lapis could die because what if she wasn't there on time? What if she wasn't there to say her farewell, to try and save her.

Peridot looked down.

95 mph.

The blonde girl gritted her teeth, slamming the pedal harder. She ignored everything, mind only on Lapis.

Empire City was about an hour away.

And she was going to get to Lapis on time, damn it.

----------------------------------------------------

With screeching tires, Peridot pulled into the hospital parking lot. She hopped out and ran to the door. The blonde haired girl shoved through it, pushing pass people.

Peridot ran to the desk. She cut in front of others, ignoring their angry remarks. When she reached the front of the desk, the secretary held a hand out.

"Woah there, ma'am. I'm gonna have to ask you to slow down." She said. Peridot blinked a few times before gripping the desk. "Can you tell me what room Lapis Lazuli is in?" The pale girl asked hastily.

"Lapis Lazuli, yes. But what's your relation?" The rather old secretary asked. "Girlfriend, she's my girlfriend. Please, just tell me, she overdosed and I don't want to loose her!" Peridot exclaimed, choking back tears.

"Dear, you aren't related to Miss Lazuli. I'm afraid you can't-" The secretary was cut off by a shout.

"Peridot!" It was Lapis' mother.

Peridot ignored the secretary and ran over to her. "Oh god, thank god you're here." Lapis' mom sighed. Peridot felt her heart begin to race.

"Is Lapis okay?" She asked. Lapis' mother opened her mouth to speak, then paused for a moment. "She's alive, but she's not awake. They pumped her stomach. Peridot, if Amethyst hadn't called any sooner, Lapis would have most definitely died.."

Peridot smiled, god she smiled, but she could feel tears rolling down her cheeks. She could feel Lapis' mother's embrace. The blonde girl broke into a worse sob, hugging her girlfriend's mother back.

"Now listen, Lapis' dad and I have to get back to work. Will you stay in there with her?" Mrs. Lazuli asked. Peridot sniffled, wiping her tears and nodding. "Of course." She replied.

"Thank you, Peridot. We appreciate it so much, and we know Lapis does too. We don't know where she'd be without you." Lapis' mom smiled. Peridot watched as Lapis' dad approached them, nodding a hello. "If you need anything, call us." Mrs. Lazuli called as they walked out the hospital doors.

Peridot wiped her tears, then ran back over to the secretary. "Can you please tell me where Lapis Lazuli is?" She asked. The secretary hesitated a moment before responding, "Room one sixteen."

This was all Peridot needed to hear.

She ran to that room, shoving past anyone in her way. 112... 113... 114... 115...

116.

Peridot quickly opened the door, quietly closing it behind her. She slowly approached the hospital bed. She immediately recognized Lapis, who looked more fragile than ever.

The blonde girl bursted into more tears. Seeing Lapis like this, it hurt. It physically hurt to see Lapis like this.

Peridot took a seat in the chair next to the bed. She gently took one of Lapis' tan hands in her pale ones. She placed a small kiss on it, lightly squeezing it.

Peridot lowered her head, holding Lapis' hand to her forehead. She sat there, just crying.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She sobbed, shaking.

The blonde girl stayed like this for minutes. She felt horrible. If only she hadn't left, none of this would've happened.

"I never meant for this to happen. I never wanted to hurt you, Lapis I love you so much." Peridot sniffled.

Suddenly she could feel a hand run down from her forehead to her cheek.

Peridot let go of Lapis' hand, looking down. She was met by Lapis' gorgeous blue eyes and her stunning smile.

"Peri."

"Lapis!"

Peridot began to cry tears of joy, feeling like a child as Lapis pulled her down onto the bed for a hug. "Welcome home." Lapis said in a quiet voice.

"Oh, my Lapis. I'm so sorry." Peridot cried. Lapis hugged Peridot as tight as she could (she was still relatively weak). "No, no. It's okay. I'm okay." Lapis smiled, her voice melting Peridot's heart.

"I love you so much. You know I would never hurt you on purpose, right? Christ, if I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have left." Peridot whimpered.

"Peri, it's fine. I'm alive. And I love you too. If anyone should be sorry, it's me. I ruined your business opportunity." Lapis said, comfortingly running her fingers through Peridot's hair.

"Don't say that. To hell with the robots, all I care about is you." Peridot smiled. She felt her heart soar as Lapis pressed her lips against Peridot's. She missed that a lot.

"And all I care about is you. Hey, did you know that Christmas is in two days?" Lapis smirked. Peridot nodded, gazing into the bluenette's eyes. "I guess I got my present early." The tan girl giggled.

Peridot rolled her eyes playfully. She crawled into the bed with Lapis, holding her close. "I missed you so much." The blonde girl smiled.

"I missed you too." Lapis replied, smiling back. Peridot pecked the blue haired girl's cheek. "You have to promise me one thing when we get home." Lapis said.

"Anything." Peridot replied. Lapis giggled and kissed her cheek. "You have to promise to buy me cotton candy." The tan girl said. Peridot laughed.

"Deal."