Chapter 10

Leila's POV 

I fixed my jeans jacket in the mirror as I admired my outfit. Faded blue jeans, a white v-neck and a jeans jacket with black jordans strapped on my feet. Today was the day. Emmanuel was due to be here any second and I was more than nervous. Ms. Taylor happened to be the sweetest woman I had ever met and she always cared about someone else besides herself.

"Hey, did you want-- Damn you look good," Devin said giving me a look over as he peeked his head into my bedroom.

"Thank you," I replied with a smile before grabbing my purse and swinging it over my shoulder. "You were saying something."

"Oh right, I was wondering if you wanted to taste something," he offered and I raised my eyebrow in his direction. "Something I cooked, damn Leila no need to be that dirty minded."

"What did you make?"

"Sugar cookies."

"A man that bakes, look who's trying to find their way into my heart," I teased as I walked passed him towards the kitchen.

"And them jeans if you'll let me," Devin replied biting his lip.

"Devin."

"Sorry, a force of habit." Rolling my eyes I grabbed one of the sugar cookies off the tray, popping one into my mouth before moaning at how good it tasted.

"This is absolutely amazing. You are a saint, Devin."

"I know," he teased earning a smack on his arm before my phone began to ring. Emmanuel's name flashed across the screen and simultaneously Devin and I both sighed.  

"Hello?" 

"I'm here," Emmanuel said cheerfully through the phone.

"I am on my way outside right now."

"Alright, later," I hung up the phone before Devin gave me a curious glance.

"He's picking you up?"

"Not my choice but he wasn't going to book the appointment unless I agreed."

"I see." 

"Well I better get going," I mumbled before Devin pulled me into his embrace before raising my chin with his thumb and pressing our lips together. On instinct, my hands wrapped around his neck while his hands caressed my thigh. Slowly he pulled away before licking his lips and smirking.

"Just in case ole boy try and make you forget who you belong to."

"I'm not a property Devin, you don't own me."

"Very true but soon enough I'll own your heart and that's all a nigga really needs. Now go before I change my mind and keep you locked in my room forever," he half-joked and I laughed before giving him a kiss on his cheek and heading out the door. Emmanuel silver Porsche sat in my driveway as he leaned against it giving me an appreciative glance.

"Damn girl, your body looks banging."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" I asked curiously and he nodded eagerly.

"Damn right. Man, I missed that body of yours and that smart mouth," I rolled my eyes before heading to my door. I paused for a second waiting for him to volunteer to open my door when I remembered this wasn't Devin I was dealing with, this was Emmanuel. I slid into the car and buckled myself up before Emmanuel revved up the engine eagerly and pulling out of the driveway, zooming down the road.  

"So Devin actually let you out of the house?"

"I am my own woman."

"Good to hear," he replied placing his hand on my thigh and I glanced up at him curiously. Had he lost his mind? Grabbing his hand I shoved it back to where it belonged before I noticed the familiar route we were taking.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Moms house, she doesn't have her surgery till two weeks from now so they let her go home."

"I see. So how's everyone?" I asked trying to make conversation.

"They miss you."

"Whose fault is that E? It's your fault we're broken up. You broke up with me."

"And I regret it every day which is why we should try again. I've matured."

"I've matured to Emmanuel and I've matured enough to know that you are not what I want anymore. If you've really matured then you'll respect my decision and move on." The car shut off as we parked in front of the home I had always come to as a child and I couldn't hold in my smile. Nothing had changed. Not waiting for Emmanuel to open my door, which was already unlikely, I rushed to the door and immediately knocked overly excited. A moment later the door swung open and I came face to face with Emmanuel's sister; Erin. 

"Oh my god Leila! I didn't think Emmanuel was serious. You're here!" She pulled me in for a hug crushing my body but I didn't care. "It's been so long. How's the family?"

"The same. Desmond got married."

"Really?"

"Yeah to a victoria secret model, she has her own show called 'Drama Central' now and she even has a book out with their entire adventure in it. I think it's called An Unexpected Surprise. 

"I have to read it! Come in, come in," she said rushing me in before I finally got a good look at the place. It was gorgeous and nothing had changed. The dark red on the walls still gave off a comfortable vibe to the place and the pictures with the family still lined up against the walls.

"How dad?" I asked out of force of habit.

"The same as usual, getting on everyone's last nerves," she replied with a small laugh. "He is going to freak when he finds out you're back."

"Where is he?"

"His study, come on I'll bring you," she said with a smile before grabbing my arm and dragging me down the hallway and towards the last door on the right. His man cave. I still had memories of all the time Erin and I had gotten in trouble after sneaking into there and breaking one of his boxing trophies.

"Daddy?" Erin called.

"What?"

"I have a visitor for you."

"I'm busy tell them to come back next year," he replied and I rolled my eyes. That response wasn't new. Erin gave me a slight nudge before I took a deep breath and entered the room. The room hadn't changed one bit still a gorgeous black and white with a large glass table, TV, and desk. 

"I know I told you to come back..." His words trailed off as he glanced up and met my eye.

"Hey, dad."

"I know that isn't my Leila."

"In the flesh," in a quick second, he was up and pulling me into his embrace. 

"Taylor baby, come here."

"Henry I already told you I will not get you another beer," Taylor's mom said as she entered the room before we made eye contact. "Oh my lord."

"Hey mama."

"Told you I was bringing her," Emmanuel said entering the room and ruining the moment.

"Is that really my baby?" She asked with tears filling her eyes and I nodded slowly before she joined in on the hug. 

"I can't believe your back," Henry said and I smiled before Taylor pulled back.

"Leila I love you but if you ever distance yourself from this family again-- whether you and Emmanuel are speaking or not again I will hunt you down and put you over my knee, understand?" She said seriously and I bit my lip to prevent from smiling. 

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good now give me another hug," she replied before we hugged again. "You don't know how glad I am that you and Emmanuel worked this out."

"What?" I asked pulling back quickly.

"We don't have to hide it anymore baby, I told them," Emmanuel grinned putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Told them what?"

"That we're back together of course."