Chapter 18

Leila

I was currently in the kitchen, making us tea while I tried to analyze what the Harmony had just said without asking to many questions and getting her upset.The wedding was off. A fight between Harmony and Joseph had clearly gone off but over what. Those two were always known for taking their problems through so it had to be something big. The kettle whistled it's completion loud and proud before I took it off the stove and made tea for both Harmony and I. Here goes nothing. Grabbing both cups, I headed back to the living room, handing Harmony her cup before I sat down.

"I'm sorry I came here so early but I didn't know where else to go."

"It's fine Harmony, this place is as much mine as it is yours," I reminded her and she gave me a sad smile before wiping her eyes.

"I just don't understand how everything lost control so quickly."

"Tell me what happened."

"Joseph and I were going to counciling. It was our last session which was supposed to be the easiest one; our future. Joseph and I had been planning our future since the seventh grade so I thought it would be a breeze. But when we got in and the pastor asked us if we were sure about marrying each other, I said hell yes but Joseph hesitated and then admited he wasn't sure if he wanted to marry me. Do you know how embarrassing that was?" Harmony mumbled, her hands covering her face while I rubbed her back.

"What happened after that?"

"We got into a huge argument that lasted hours before I packed up my stuff and headed to the door but he said if I left the house, don't bother coming back and I left," she said finishing her story.

"You can stay here as long as you need Harmony."

"Thank you so much," she said pulling me in for a hug. "Now forget me for a second, how are you and Devin?"

I opened my mouth to reply about how amazing it has been but decided against it. No need to rub it in her face.

"We're okay," I replied just as my bedroom door opened with a half naked Devin casually walking out. 

"Leila why'd you leave the bed?" He asked before taking notice of Harmony. "Oh shit. Harmony is here. And crying. What happened?"

"Why don't you ask the asshole you call your best friend?" Harmony replied sarcastically and I gave her another hug before motioning to Devin to move to the corner so we could talk.

"What happened between them?" Devin asked as soon as we were out of hearing distance.

"Apparently the wedding is off, something about Joseph and not wanting to marry her."

"Damn," Devin said running his hand through his hair. "I should probably go heard over to Harmony's and talk some sense into him."

"Could you? That would be amazing."

"Yeah of course, I'll go right now," he said giving me a kiss and I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face as I watched him go back into his room to get changed. What an amazing man. He came back a few seconds later fully clothed before he gave Harmony a hug and giving one final kiss. 

"I'll text you when I know more. I'll see you later," he told me and I nodded.

"Alright, later baby."

"I love you," he said quickly before shutting the door leaving me in shock. 

He what!

***

"So what did you find out from Joseph?" I asked Devin later that day as we sat and ate food. Devin had come and picked me up from work and was treating me to lunch and although I tried not to think about it, his three words haunted my mind. I love you. So far he hasn't brought up the slip up and neither have I. And I wasn't planning on it.

"Apparently Harmony is taking it way out of proportion. He never said he didn't want to marry her, he just said he didn't feel like getting married anymore," starting to feel defensive of my friend, I jumped in.

"Well if he felt like that why did he propose in the first place?"

"Maybe he felt like he had to," Devin shot back.

"I bet he didn't feel like he had to sleep with her but he had no problem doing that."

"So now because he had sex with her he has to marry her?" Devin asked rolling his eyes. "So now I have to marry you?" Devin asked

"You know what Devin, I should get back to work," I muttered quickly standing up to which he followed me.

"Wait Leila."

"What?"

"What are we doing? Me and you are good and that's all that should matter," Devin said circling his hands around my waist.

"No what should matter is that you agree with Joseph showing me that maybe I don't know you as well as I thought I did," I said pressing the issue and Devin removed his arms from around me.

"Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?"

"I'm not," I replied lamely.

"Yeah you are. Is this because of Harmony and Joseph or is this because I said I love you?" He asked and I froze slightly. He said it again. 

"It has nothing to do with what you said."

"Your lying Leila."

"No I'm not."

"You know what Leila, your right. Maybe I don't know you as well as I thought I did because the woman I know, the woman I fell in love with, isn't the one standing in front of me so let me know when you find her." Giving me one final glance, he walked away leaving me alone to my thoughts.

What the hell did I just do?