Chapter 20

Leila 

I pulled up to the familiar brick house that held so many memories and shut off my car engine before hopping out and heading to the front door. I knocked a few times and waited a few seconds before the door opened and I was greeted by the sight of Miss. Taylor, Emmanuel's mom.

"You actually came back, I'm impressed," she said before giving me a hug. "Come on in baby, don't let that cold winter air in." I quickly entered the house and took off my jacket before turning my attention back to her.

"Should you even be up mama?"

"Don't you start too. Just because I did a little surgery doesn't mean I am handicap. God blessed me with two feet and a heartbeat and I plan on using it," she said and I bit my lip to resist laughing at her. Every time I was here I would get that same lecture from her because she hates to be 'babied'. Clearly, nothing had changed.

I followed her into the kitchen and took a seat at the island while she went into the fridge to grab us drinks.

"So tell me, how are your classes?" 

"There good. Getting A's as usual."

"That's what I like to hear and how is your family?"

"Everyone's good. I know they want to throw a family barbecue soon and get the entire family together for a reunion."

"Now that sounds like a good time," she said with a laugh. "How's that cute little boyfriend of yours?"

"You know mama, I absolutely loved the renovations you did on the kitchen," I said with a grin attempting to change the topic.

"Oh lord, how bad is it?" She asked. "Are you pregnant?"

"No. Definitely not."

"Then start talking," she said placing a drink in front of me.

"Well he and I got into an argument and we haven't spoken since" I replied honestly. I hadn't realized how much I really missed having Devin in my life till he wasn't there anymore.

"What was the argument about?"

"Well, it's not so much the argument more like what was said," I said hoping she would catch my drift.

"He called you out your name?" She asked and I shook my head.

"No, never that. Devin has way too much respect to do that. The three words were said," I said and she nodded in understanding.

"Oh okay. So you told him you loved him and he didn't feel the same?"

"Actually it was the other way around."

"Wait a minute. You have a man telling you he loves you, what half the woman population is begging for, and that is a problem. Baby, you need to get your priorities straight," she said with a laugh.

"I know. I should be happy but it freaked me out a little bit you know?"

"Did you think it was too soon?" She asked.

"No, it's just... The last time someone told me they loved me it was followed by a 'this is why we need to break up.'"

"Somehow I figured this all trailed back to Emmanual," she said nodding her head. "You need to talk to that boy."

"But--"

"No buts. I love my son but he is not worth losing a good man over. And from what I've seen and heard, Devin sounds like a good man but just to be sure let's do a test."

"Seriously ma?" I said with a laugh and she nodded.

"Very much so. Here we go, question one. Does he make you smile?"

"Yes," I replied without hesitation.

"Does he go out of his way to make you happy?" The memory of us waking up at 6 am just to see a sunset came to mind and I nodded.

"Yes."

"Has he spoke to your parents?"

"Yeah. He actually met them when they came up," I said and she raised an eyebrow in my direction.

"Did they like him?"

"Loved him. Mom nearly took him home with her," I said with a laugh.

"Then why the hell are you still sitting in front of me. You need to go speak with Emmanual, get your closure and then go get your man before somebody else snatches him up," she said ushering me out of my chair.

"Thank you for your help mama."

"Anytime baby."

***

"Thanks for meeting me on such short notice," I told Emmanual as we sat in a booth at a new restaurant that had just opened up.

"Yeah it's no problem, I figured one day you'd come around," he said with a grin, placing his hand over mine. Feeling the need for space, I pulled my hand back and gave him a smile instead.

"So let's talk. You've been dying to explain yourself, go ahead."

"Well Leila, you were my first and I'll always have a place for you in my heart. I made a really big mistake letting you go but I was immature and young then but I've matured and changed."

"I could tell when you lied about your mom having cancer," I replied sarcastically and he scratched the back of his head nervously. 

"Yeah, I also wanted to apologize for that. I just couldn't get you to give me a chance and when I saw you perk up at my mom's name I figured maybe--"

"You'd just lie about something as serious as cancer."

"Love makes you do some crazy things," he said with a shrug.

"Oh, so you love me now?" 

"Of course I love you."

"And what makes you think you love me?"

"Well baby your always on my mind, seeing you is the best part of my day, I love your imperfections, and I could see us having a future together," Emmanual named off and although it was sweet, I found myself getting nervous. Everything he had described is how I felt about Devin.

"And you would put their--my feelings before your own?" I asked him needing to be sure.

"Yeah of course."

"And get jealous when I'm around anyone else."

"Yup"

"And if I'm not around, you crave my presence?" I asked and he nodded. "And you can be yourself around me?"

"Exactly. All of that just proves my love."

"Holy shit I'm in love," I muttered under my breath and I noticed Emmanuel start to get excited. "With Devin," I said finishing my sentence.

"Wait what?"

"I'm in love with Devin and he doesn't know."