Chapter 21

Leila

It was the last football game of the season and it was our school against Emmanuel's and I was a little nervous. After coming to the realization that I was in love with Devin, I had to figure out a game plan and decided to tell him after the big game so I wouldn't throw him off. But I was excited. I was rocking my full school spirit wear; a football jersey, green and black paint on my face and Devin's number written on my arm and cheeks. When Harmony saw me the first thing she did was shake her head and mumble 'whipped' before she actually looked me over.

"So what's with the change of heart? Sudden interest in football?" She questioned.

"Well you have to support the man you love," I said and it took her a minute to comprehend what I said before she squealed in excitement. A few onlookers began to watch us curiously but Harmony paid them no mind as she dragged me down to sit beside her.

"Oh my god you just said you loved him."

"I know," I said unable to stop my smile.

"Does he know?"

"Not yet, I'm going to tell him after the game."

"I'm so happy for you," she said clapping and I let out a laugh.

"And I'm happy for you. You and Joseph worked it out! How is it being back home?"

"Amazing and trust me when I say Joseph has been making up for lost time," she said wiggling her eyebrows and I rolled my eyes.

"So when's the wedding?"

"We decided not to pick a date yet. He loves me and I love him and we don't need a marriage certificate to tell us that," she said and I smiled, genuinely happy for her. 

The referee blew the whistle letting everyone know it was halftime and while the cheerleaders walked to the middle of the football field, getting ready to do their routine, my eyes were on Devin. He was playing an okay game so far but I know he could do better. I watched as he looked around for someone until our eyes met and he looked shocked to see me which I couldn't blame him for. Since we had stopped talking I stopped coming to his games but I was here to make up for it today. He gave me a small smile and I returned it and gave him two thumbs up eagerly causing him to shake his head with a small grin.

The cheerleaders finished up their routine and the crowd went crazy before the game started up again. As soon as the ball was handed off, Devin took off with a speed I had never seen him have before, cutting past the other players, and running straight into the end zone causing the crowd to go crazy with applause. Devin looked towards the crowd and blew me a kiss and I couldn't help the blush that fell on my face but unfortunately I wasn't the only one who noticed. Emmanual, who had been glaring at Devin since the game started, now held a scowl on his face, his anger visible to any onlookers. Suddenly, I had a bad feeling. They lined back up and the quarterback called out a few numbers before yelling 'hut!' He handed the ball off of to Joseph, who started running straight ahead before making an unexpected turn and handing the ball off to Devin.

"Go, Devin!" I cheered loudly and the crowd backed me up with yells and hoots of encouragement. He was almost there. He was a few feet from the end zone when suddenly he was tackled to the crowd. Hard. The stands, that only a few seconds prior was filled with cheers, was now a deadly silent as we waited for Devin to get up but he didn't. Instead, they brought a gurney onto the field before placing him onto him. I needed to get down there. Grabbing my stuff, I pushed and shoved passed people who were blocking my way and made it onto the football field in record time. I was almost at the doors of the locker room where they had taken Devin when the devil himself stepped in front of me, blocking my path.