2

The car pulls up in front of the gallery, and Lauren climbs out, leaving me speechless. She opens the car door for me, and I climb out as well.

"Why do you do that?" My voice is louder than I expected.

"Do what?" Lauren is taken aback.

"Say something like that and then just stop."

"Normani, we're here. Where you want to be. Let's do this and then talk. I don't particularly want a scene in the middle of the street."

I flush and glance around. She's right. It's too public. I press my lips together as she glares at me.

"Okay" I mutter and she reaches out her hand towards me and I grab it, as she leads us into the building.

The place is huge and classic looking. There's photographs everywhere along with people sipping on their wine and admiring them. Way to go Victoria, this is nice.

"Good evening and welcome to Victoria Monets show." A woman dressed in black with very short brown hair, bright red lipstick, and large hooped earrings greets us.

She glances briefly at me, then much longer than is strictly necessary at Lauren, then turns back to me, blinking as she blushes. Why must every woman and man gush over her?

My brow creases. She's mine - or was. I try hard not to scowl at her. As her eyes regain their focus, she blinks again.

"Oh, it's you, Mani. We'll want your take on all this, too." Grinning, she hands me a brochure and directs me to a table laden with drinks and snacks.

How does she know my name?

"You know her?" Lauren frowns.

I shake my head, equally puzzled.

She shrugs, distracted. "What would you like to drink?"

"I'll have a glass of white wine, thank you."

Her brow furrows, but she holds her tongue and heads for the open bar.

"Mani!" Victoria comes barreling through a group of people "You made it"

Holy shit! She's wearing a dress. It's red and long sleeved, it stops just above her knees. Wooo it's skin tight and laced up in the front showcasing her breasts. She looks good and she's beaming at me. She has a wine glass in her hand.

She enfolds me in her arms, hugging me hard. Which is unexpected. And it's all I can do is say "Of course I came. I told you I was"

She slowly releases me and her fingers graze across my neck and down my shoulder as she pulls her arm away. She's tipsy.

"Are you supposed to be drinking at your own event?" I raise my brow at her.

"Listen to your words... it's my event. Plus I think I know how to control myself" she smirks and leans in to my ear "Maybe" the last word is a whisper.

Wooo!

"You look beautiful" she admits after getting a look up and down of me.

I flush "Thank you, you like nice as well"

"How did you get here by the way?"