8

Holy shit. My fucking car! Who would do that?

And I know the answer as soon as the question materializes in my mind. Lucy. I glance up at Lauren, and she blanches. She looks angry, even paler than ever.

"Tony is concerned that the perp may have entered the apartment and may still be there. He wants to make sure."

"I see," Lauren whispers. "What's Tony's plan?"

"He's coming up in the service elevator with Ryan and Reynolds. They'll do a sweep then give us the all clear. I'm to wait with you, Ma'am"

"Thank you, Sawyer." Lauren tightens her arm around me. "This day just gets better and better," she sighs bitterly, nuzzling my hair.

There's a pause before Lauren sighs letting me go, and the absence of her touch is already scary "Listen, I can't stand here and wait. Sawyer, take care of Miss Hamilton. Don't let her in until you have the all clear. I am sure Tony is overreacting. She can't get into the apartment."

What?

"No, Lauren - you have to stay with me," I plead.

I need her safe, with me. No telling what that girl will do.

Lauren glares at me. "Do as you're told, Normani. Wait here."

No!

"Sawyer?" Lauren says.

Sawyer opens the door to let Lauren enter the apartment then shuts the door behind her and stands in front of it, staring impassively down at me.

Holy shit. Lauren! All manner of horrific outcomes run through my mind. I can't lose her. I just can't. But all I can do is stand and wait.

Sawyer talks into his sleeve again.

"Tony, Miss Jauregui has entered the home." He flinches and grabs the earpiece, pulling it out of his ear, presumably receiving some loud tone from Tony.

Oh no - if Tony is worried...

"Please let me go in," I plead.

"Sorry, Miss Hamilton. This won't take long." Sawyer holds both hands up in a defensive gesture. "Tony and the others are just coming into the apartment now."

Oh. I feel so useless as fear overtakes my body. Standing stock-still, I listen avidly for the slightest sound, but all I hear is my aggravated breathing. It's loud and shallow, my scalp prickles, my mouth is dry, and I feel faint. Please, let Lauren be okay, I pray silently.

Tony, protect her!

I have no idea how much time passes, and still we hear nothing. Surely no sound is good - there are no gunshots, no screams. I begin pacing around in the right area to distract myself. My feet hurt in these heels. I'm tired. I just want bed with Lauren. I want my body wrapped in her arms. Please, let her be okay.

Where is she? It's taking too long.

I stare at Sawyer and he watches me impassively.

"What's happening?"

"No news, Miss Hamilton."

Abruptly, the doorknob moves startling the both of us. Sawyer spins like a top and draws a gun from his shoulder holster.

I freeze.

Lauren appears at the door.

"All clear," she says, frowning at Sawyer, who puts his gun away immediately and steps back to let me in.