6

I take a deep, steadying breath. Holy shit. I'm all hot and horny. Can I not resist her for one minute? I shake my head, disgusted at myself.

My inner Mani is licking her lollipop with a 'Mmm you freaky bitch' smirk on her face.

Jeez Im grateful for Tony's interruption, even though embarrassing. Or else I would be sprawled out of this kitchen floor right now given in to Lauren's sexy, seducing ways.

I wonder what Tony has had to interrupt in the past. What's he seen? I don't want to think about that. Lunch. I'll make lunch. I busy myself preparing the ingredients that will go inside of the omelettes. Hmmm I don't even know what Laurens favorite food is. Good lord I'm in love with a woman I know barely anything about.

My mind starts to wonder... What does Tony want? What are they talking about? My mind races on and one - is this about Lucy?

Ten minutes later, they come out, just as the omelet is ready. Lauren looks preoccupied as she glances at me. I can barely ever tell what she's feeling, even if I stare into those beautiful green eyes of hers its hard to tell. I can only truly tell when she's happy or pained. The in between is such a grey area.

Fifty shades of green.

"I'll brief them in ten," she says to Tony.

"We'll be ready," Tony answers and leaves the living room.

I hold two warmed plates and place them on the kitchen island. "Lunch?"

"Please," Lauren says as she sits on one of the bar stools. Now she's watching me carefully.

"Problem?" I question.

"No."

I scowl. She's not telling me. I dish out lunch and sit down beside her, resigned to staying in the dark. Not knowing a thing.

"This is good," Lauren murmurs appreciatively as she takes a bite. "Would you like a glass of wine?"

"No, thank you." I need to keep a clear head around you, Jauregui.

It does taste good, even though I'm not that hungry. I give myself a pat on the back. Both meals I've made for Lauren have been good and I haven't burned the kitchen down.

Even though my stomach is reaching its capacity fast I eat, knowing Lauren will nag if I don't. Eventually Lauren disrupts our brooding silence and switches on a song.

"What's this?" I ask.

"Canteloube, Songs of the Auvergne. This is called 'Bailero.' "

It's in a different language...

"It's nice. What language is this?"

"French, in fact."

"You speak French? You understand this?"

"Mhm" she nods "When Henry decided to move Paris I made it my right to become fluent in it."

"Why is that?"

"To further prove his incompetence. Pretty boy has been living there for years now and I could have a full conversation easily before he could"

I shake my head at her "That's your brother. Why is everything a pissing contest with you?"

And then realization hits me. Lauren has spent her life trying to be good enough. She needs validation. She grew up in that house with Camila and Henry feeling like the odd one out after living with a crack head mother.