Collateral Damage - Mutual Feelings

TRENT'S POV

We all settled on eating out for pizza, I couldn’t really argue with that because it was one of my favorite foods. Leaning my head against Liam’s cold, hard car window, I sat in silence, occasionally picking at my fingernails.

“Aye, man, what’s wrong with you?” Liam called out, noticing that I looked somewhat troubled.

“It’s nothing.” I replied, shrugging his question off, and returning to my previous state; peering out of the window. His hands clenched and unclenched the staring wheel, as he found himself tongue tied—not knowing what else to do. Yeah, who wouldn’t be when your best friend is abnormally quiet?

We drove in an awkward silence, until we pulled up to the pizzeria. To be honest, I don’t know why I was acting like this. But the look Anne gave me, suggested that she no longer wanted to be associated with me in any way. You really fucked up this time, didn’t you? I said mentally scolding myself, while sighing.

“Were here,” Liam said speaking up.

“Yeah, I’ll get out,” I replied, giving him a small smile, which he returned.

“The rest of the football team should be here in a few minutes.” His eyes scanned the parking lot, and he shoved his hands inside his pockets, before he ushered me into the pizza parlor. It was getting pretty cold here. I could feel the cold air hitting my skin, sending shivers down my spine. I shouldn’t have worn this short sleeve shirt--my body was begging for warmth.

Stalking over to where the entrance was, I slowly swung the door open, which sent a blast of warm air swarming towards my face. Ahhh, that feels good!  Liam stepped inside, and I followed him, letting go of the door behind me. As soon as I enter the building, the smell of garlic and fresh bread immediately hits my nose, and makes my mouth water. I was really hungry!

Walking up to the waitress, I give her a breathtaking smile, which causes her cheeks to flush.

“Um, can I get seats for about—15?”

“Y-yeah, sure,” she stutters. Yes, I have that effect on ladies.

I intentionally keep my gaze on her, watching her every move. I notice the small things she does, as she tucks her dark brown hair behind her ear nervously, and chews on her bottom lip out of frustration—waiting for her manager to hurry up and get us our seats. God, she reminds me of Anne when she does that. Tilting my head to the side, I speak up.

“Still waiting are we?”

“Um, y-yes, sorry about that.” Her eyes can’t seem to find mine as she fiddles with her thumb and glances over at Liam, nervously. Yeah, maybe I should leave this chick alone.

Setting my elbows on the counter, I lean over, and bend down so that we are both at eye-level. Smiling mischievously, I gaze into her brown eyes out of curiosity.

“Do I bother you?”

“N-no—not at all” She stutters, and her cheeks flush once more. “In fact, you intrigue me.”

“Oh, really.” Cocking my head to the side, I speak up again. “And why is that?”

“You seem—different. Light at heart, but –you know—demonic on the outside—isn’t that right mister bad boy?” she replies, smirking with a glint in her eyes. All signs of her nervous attitude earlier have vanished and have been replaced with a more confident one. Hmm, tricky girl.

Attempting to speak up again, I notice the manager, stalking over to where me and Liam are standing, and immediately clamp my mouth shut.

“And what do you two gentlemen need?”