Chapter 12

"Cali... Do you want to see Lala?"

"Really? Dada's Nanay?" his face lit up.

She was free the whole day and so she spent it staying at home with Cali and her parents. Her Mom was fond of her grandson and the kid on the other hand was enjoying the attention her grandparents were giving him. They were lying on her bed resting that afternoon when Seff came to visit them.

"Yes. Dada and Tito Ethan's Nanay," he answered. "She makes cakes and lots of good food. She'll be very happy to see you."

"Nanay, can we go?" he then turned to his mother. "Can Lola come with us too?"

She didn't answer. She didn't want to go to their house as much as possible to avoid Ethan.

"Can we? Mom? Please?" he begged.

"We'll be at the bakeshop," Seff assured her. "You can come with us."

"Fine," she smiled at them which made Cali rejoice. He immediately went off the bed to get his shirt while Seff followed him. Minutes later, he was driving their way going to the bakeshop. His mom was busy attending to customers when they arrived but stopped working to attend to Cali. She gave him a tour of the bakeshop and allowed him to design his own cupcake.

"This looks good, Cali," Amanda commented on his cupcake.

"Really?" his face brightened up with what he heard.

"Yes. In fact, Mama is thinking of creating a cupcake similar to this and I would name it 'Cali and Gavin'. What do you think?" she smiled at him.

"That's good!" his face could not be painted with happiness. He spent more hours helping his grandmother and past 7, they went home. Nasa sasakyan pa lang, Cali already fell asleep. Seff carried and laid him down on the bed when they got back home.

They were both sleeping when Cali woke up all of a sudden and cried. She was awakened and cuddled him.

"Did you have a bad dream?" she asked him.

"I want my Dada," he sobbed.

"Dada's not here," she said. "Nanay is here. You can tell me what's wrong."

"I want Dada," he continued sobbing on her shoulders and still looked for Seff despite her attempts of making him feel better.

She finally decided to call Seff after thirty minutes of Cali's nonstop outburst. He was out with friends when she called and when he heard Cali's cry, he bid his friends goodbye and drove straight to see them. His parents were expecting him home so he just called to tell them.

Cali still wasn't in a good mood until Seff arrived. He immediately extended his arms, wanting to be carried by Seff.

"Shh," he silenced him as he carried Cali. "What's wrong? Dada's here now and Nanay. You'll be alright. You are safe."

Cali didn't respond but he stopped crying. He just continued leaning on his shoulder without saying anything.

"Does anything hurt?" Seff asked him but the kid didn't respond. "You have to tell me if something's hurting... Cali, Dada's wanting an answer. Are you hurting anywhere?"

"N-no," he sobbed.

"You'll tell me if there is, okay?" he said. Mayamaya ay tumigil na din ito sa pag-iyak. He allowed Seff to put him down and Raffy went up to him.

"Are you okay?" she asked him. "Is there anything you want?"

"Can you sleep beside me tonight Dada?"

••

He was late when he got home. It was his habit to be home every Friday night to spend the night there. Ethan found his parents on the veranda talking.