T.W/6/The Box

Bits of the sun spring from the windows and birds chirp happily. My hair sticks to my neck and my eyes swell in exhaustion. I wake up really ugly and the morning is so pretty. Logic.

Ugh I hate when I wake up like this.

First I grunt as I attempt to do a sit up. Then I run in the shower and rinse my hair in shampoo. A moment later, I get out shivering in light clothing.

Its Saturday and I don't have to worry about going to school or the Bakery because today is a special day. It's my Mom's Birthday today. Hana-san gave me the day off and even specially made some goodies for her. The only problem is that my Mom is working. She doesn't think her birthday is a good excuse to miss work.

I think otherwise.

As I run out the door, I place my socks on my feet and yank my long boots off the shelf. My coat hangs on my arm and a hat is placed on the other.

As soon as I open the door, I meet cold air that's as chilly as ice itself.

The day is nice. So today I'll make sure to make it even better.

I run hard. My boots pounding at the ground like weights. It feels nice for some reason. I'm so happy that nothing could make it go sour. A grin spread from ear to ear on my face.

The building is tall and big. I enter and am instantly greeted by all the employees. "Welcome Sakura-sama."

I greet them with a smile. Then I face the companies' owner. Mr. Hashimoto. A young handsome man with bright brown hair and the prettiest green eyes. "Sakura. Why... what brings you here?"

I bow down to him. I never mentioned it before but he is the only man that I respect in this whole world and may be the only one that I'll ever respect. "Sorry to bother you, Mr. Hashimoto. I came to request that my mother be given a day off today. I know it's awfully late to do so but she deserves it, don't you think? It's her Birthday." I smile and he nods.

"Of course. I'll send her right away." When he turns, I blow hot air into my hands. He really is a great man. I wouldn't mind my mom marrying him. Unfortunately he already has a wife and my mom is not interested.

A few minutes later...

"MISS. MIKAN SAKURA!" My mom comes storming with a basket of presents, all big in comparison to my own. I slowly turn away.

"Yeah?" I laugh nervously.

"I told you not to come and get me! I have work to do."

She knows I do this every year yet she always refuses to let me. "Lets go home. It's your Birthday. No one should work on their Birthday." I whine and she smiles.

"You're grounded."

...

She whines about missing work. I take her shopping and to the salon and that seems to distract her a bit. She almost looks relaxed too.

I asked Hotaru what I to do but she said nothing. She can be no help sometimes. 

I just wish that I could do this for her everyday but sadly we know that's not possible. That's why today I made sure that we could do things only carefree people could do.

I buy her a new pair of shoes and she starts sobbing like a madman at the sight of them. Then we go to the Bakery and help out with Hana a bit. By the end of the day, I take her to the park and we sit and watch the scenery although it's all filled with snow. 

When we get home, she notices that all of the chores are done and the house is as clean as when we first moved in. She smiles and lays down on the couch with a sigh. She's tired but a good kind of tired. 

She had too much fun I believe.

I let her cook the popcorn because she thinks I've done too much today and I place a movie in the player and we watch The Lorax.

"I love this movie." She wipes her eyes. We're at the part when the last couple trees fall down and by then, I'm bawling. Resulting in soggy eyes. I hear a faint bell in the distance.

The doorbell?

Its so rare for anyone to ring our doorbell that I hesitate to get up. I wonder what would have happened if I had gotten there sooner? Would I have seen him? Would he have seen me? I don't know what to think about that specific moment in time. The time I could have seen him.

I hear the doorbell once more, softer and then it's gone. The doorbell doesn't ring again and this time I get up from the couch and walk slowly. I peek through the door and see no one.

Huh?

I open the door and look on both sides of the door but see no one outside. Its cold so I begin to shut the door when I noticed that there's something on the ground. A box.

A red box with a bright pink bow wrapped tightly, carefully, gracefully around the outside of it. I pick it up and find it surprisingly heavy. A card placed under it:

TO YUKA SAKURA

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

I hold in a breath. There's no name on the other side. Who sent it?! I thought I was the only one who knew my mother's Birth date.

"Mom? There's a present out here for you..." My voice fades as I gaze at the present. It's so beautiful from the outside. I wonder what's inside.

"Mikan. What is it?" Mom walks through the hall and pauses, her eyes surprised. "Who's it from?" 

"There's no name. It's says its for you though..." I mutter. "Who do you think sent it?"

"I..." She gulps, "I'm not sure, sweetie. Let me see." She hesitantly extends her hand to hold it and I observe her reaction. A sad smile emerges as she looks at it. For some reason she seems to know exactly what it is before she opens it.

A box that is a foot long, yet heavy and sophisticated looking. She lifts up the cover.

I suck in a sharp breath at the sight of red tulips that dangle in beauty. "Wow..." I have no words to express the way they look. They were carefully picked alright, and fresh from the market.

"These..." My mom's eyes water.

On the side of them are chocolate filled with cherries.

Those are Mom's favorites!

"Wow! Maybe Grandpa got these for you?" I squeal but she doesn't say a word.

"No..." she shakes her head. I can't tell if she's happy or upset. Either way I'm surprised that she isn't showing anything at the moment. 

"Only one person knows these are my favorites." She mutters under her breath. Her eyes closed, no longer looking at me.

Last year, this didn't happen. Or the years before that. Today was the first day and the sign of a train wreck.