T.W/11/First Love

"W-will you go out with me?" I shouted as loud as I could at that moment. It took all of my courage to say those words because I was risking everything. My friendship with him and my pride. We were headed to my house since he was walking me home.

No one was there but us two. Me and Mahiru Toumo.

My first year of middle school. I had been seated next to him and he was really nice to me. He was very plain looking but that didn't bother me at all. Dirty blond hair and hazel eyes. I didn't care, in my eyes he looked handsome and irreplaceable. Every time I was going through something tough, he was always there to comfort me. Encouraging me, complimenting me, and always there to listen to my troubles. 

That's the kind of guy he was in my mind. A prince that was always optimistic. He never really bothered anyone too and apologized for things that weren't even his fault. He was honest too, but mostly kind. I trusted him because he was always listening to me. 

Especially on the first day of Middle School when I first transferred.

"Nice to meet you Sakura-san." He greeted me during lunch. He smiled at me and extended his hand, "My name is Mahiru Toumo."

I was a little freaked out. A the time I got along pretty well with boys but not with the flirty ones. So I thought he was trying to flirt with me for some reason and I faced the other way but he kept talking to me everyday. Always saying good-morning to me and good-bye. Even when I was obviously ignoring him. Until one day...

I was called out by a group of girls from a different class. I didn't know why but I could guess a little from previous experiences in the past.

"Can I help you with something?" I said as calmly as I could. There were five of them wearing makeup and their hairstyles obviously made to impress people. They glared at me and shouted a whole bunch of lies. Calling me all kinds of names that made me really upset. Something about a girls' boyfriend who was interested in me. I didn't know what that had to do with me but I panicked. Hotaru was absent that day but I was hoping for her to come by my side. To help me with her icy glares. All girls feared her.

"Are you listening B*?" One of them said.

"What does this have to do with me? So some guy likes me, that's not my problem. It's his!" I tried to run but they ganged up on me and started messing with my clothes and hair. I had given up on running away until we heard a voice.

"What are you doing?" 

I had tears in my eyes, but I finally stopped crying because I recognized the voice. Mahiru. For a moment I thought that he wouldn't see me but before I knew it, he was yelling and pushing. "Leave her alone!" He yelled and picked me up. My shirt was ripped up but he handed me his blazer and looked the other way. The girls had left and it was just the two of us. "Are you okay? They're gone now."

I was confused and started to sob, holding on to his shirt.

"Thank you." He patted my head and told me that I did well. He stayed with me and took me home after that.

"Toumo-kun?" I said in front of my house, "I'm sorry for ignoring you." I said it so quietly but he heard me. He heard me for once.

"It's fine." He touched my hair a little. "Let's get along well from now on."

I nodded and pointed to his blazer, "Here..." I started but he stopped me.

"Just keep it for now. Call me Mahiru, okay Mikan? I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled and at that moment, my heart raced for the first time. 

I came to know what love was.

Love meant to need someone and to be needed by someone. That's what it was. I never knew it because my father left me behind with my mother all alone. I came to notice a lot of new feelings because of Mahiru. I loved him the most besides Hotaru. She came to like him a lot too and gave me her full support. So from then on, he was by my side.