T.W/9/Why?

A bell rings outside, while the kids scream on the swings. The birds fly around and chirp. This is the perfect scene outside at the park. Everyone's happy as can be and I am in the background. I get up and walk slowly towards the cart, surrounded by kids. They point and giggle. I wait in line like a little kid and ask for a strawberry-flavored pop sickle.

It tastes so sweet and cold in my mouth, it melts on my tongue and stings my throat. I don't know why I decided to eat ice cream when its so cold outside. I'm not really at the park and I'm not really eating strawberry-flavored ice cream. I'm in my room, eating a bucket of vanilla ice cream and there are no kids, or birds, or swings. There's nothing colorful in my room, the sun isn't even out. The clouds are blocking it and it's raining outside.

The world is sad to me.

I've missed the last few days of school and I don't plan to go any time soon. Mom hasn't said anything about it either and it's not like I'm slacking. I do my homework and I return it at the end of the day. I work everyday too. The only problem is that I'm missing it and they won't stop calling to let me know.

I just don't feel like going back.

Maybe I should just quit school...

I look up at the clock and see it's 8 and I get up to get dressed for work. I put on a plain white dress shirt and some dark pants. I let down my hair and place some flats. When I'm ready, I take my phone and head out to the Bakery.

Ever since that day, I didn't bring it up with Mom but she's been silent at the dinner table and obviously affected by it.

I can tell that she really felt emotional about it. I don't know if Mom still loves him anymore but I sure hope not.

I want my mother to be happier than anyone. How can she be happy if she can't move on? If the person she loves is somewhere else, possibly with a new family?

I can't let that happen at all. Mom has to be happy, she deserves it more than anyone else. This whole conflict is the reason why I can't come back to school just yet. My mom hasn't been able to make food or do anything when she comes home. I've been making the food for her the whole time since then. She hasn't spoken yet and it's a good thing that it has nothing to do with her work or else we would have been in trouble.

Ah... what should I do?

I sweep the front of the Bakery and once it's clean, I head inside to prep for customers. It's slow during a weekday because everyone's at work or at school. Too bad really, because this business depends on those kinds of people. 

Finally a group of kids head inside.

"Hello!" I greet them. 

Two girls, two boys glance at the treats behind the glass.

One of the boys spots a certain familiar treat, "Hey, I want that. What do you call it?"

"Oh... it's called a cream puff. They come in many flavors. Would you like one?"

He nods and asks for chocolate. He gives me money and I hand it to him. "Here you go."

He smiles, "Thank you."

I don't mind kids that much, they're innocent and happy. They don't have the faintest idea about the world whatsoever. I wish I could be a kid again.

"Ah, I want some too!" The other kids cheer. I had them one each. 

The bell rings.

"Can I get one too?" I look up and spot him again. Cat-kun. Ugh...

"You just had some yesterday..." I roll my eyes, "What are you doing here again?"

He scratches his head, trying to think of an answer. Is there really a reason to think about it? It makes me chuckle.

"Ah, whatever. Here you go." I place a chocolate cream puff in a bag. "Would you like to try a fresh sweet roll?"

"Okay." He takes out his wallet and hands me cash. He stands there before the register and takes a chomp into the sweet roll and his eyes glow. "Yum."

I nod and get overexcited, "I know right?!"

"Who makes the bake goods?" he eats the whole thing in one bite. "It's really good."

"I make them." I say and he doesn't look surprised for some reason. "The owner used to make them but she's been having trouble with her eyesight... So she taught me the recipes and stuff."

"You're good at it." It makes me really happy when he says it that I'm left speechless. What do I say next...?

"W-would you like some coffee?" I stutter. He shakes his head.

"No, I have to get going." He turns around and I wipe the counter. I don't hear the door ring at all so I look up and see him looking at me.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" I'm confused. I thought he had to 'get going'.

"Why have you been missing school?" He asks out of the blue. My eyes widen, my brows rise.

"Huh?" I get a little sentimental, "That's not of your business."

"I know but your friend is always looking at your seat. She misses you." He doesn't look at me anymore and his gaze is instead fixated on his shoes. "It's pretty boring. Homeroom... Why don't you show up anymore?"

"I've been sick." I lie.

"Then why are you working?"

"Because-"

"Shouldn't you be at home resting?"

He's asking too many questions and cornering me. "I don't need to go to school. I can do the homework, so it's fine."

"Lies. Tell me the truth." He's annoyed that I'm dodging his questions. "You're not sick at all. Something happened, didn't it?"

"..." I bite my lip.

He inches his face closer. "Why?"

"I... can't go there yet." I whisper. "Not right now." My voice is so small, I wonder if he can hear me. It's not like I want him to though.

"What's wrong?" I don't know when he got this close but I can hear his breathing. My hearts beating so fast and loud that I can't hear anything else. My mind is completely blank.

"It's none of your business." I tell him again and he doesn't move an inch, until the door rings. Then I'm relieved. I look over Cat-kun's shoulder and spot an old lady. "Welcome. How can I help you?"

He gives me one last look and turns on his heels.

He leaves and I sigh. That was close... too close. I don't know why he got all personal on me. It's really none of his business yet he really got in my face about it. Ugh... my heart won't stop beating out of anxiety.

I can't come back to school... not yet. I'm sorry Cat-kun.