Prologue

Y/n

I cried out in pain as my mother hit me over the head with her beer bottle. My head throbbed and blood ran down my forehead.

"It's all your fault," my mom slurred. She was drunk, she was angry, and she wanted something to hit. "It's your fault your dad left!" She punched me in the gut. "It's your fault your brother is gone! You and your stupid father! You killed my son!" My mom shouted. She pushed me down the basement stairs. I tumbled down and lied motionless at the bottom. I was hoping that if I didn't move or make a noise my mom wouldn't get mad again.

With a look of loathing, my mom slammed the basement door closed. The click of the lock rang out and I knew that she didn't want me escaping. Although, I wasn't sure if I would have been able to escape in my condition. I blinked the tears away and bit my lip to stop from crying out in pain as I stood up.

My entire body ached and I just wanted to go to sleep. I hobbled to a corner in the small basement and pulled out a roll of bandages and antibacterial medicine. I spread the medicine onto my injuries and carefully wrapped them in bandages.

Sighing, I stood and limped to my 'bed', which was just a pile of three or four blankets. I sat down, pulled a blanket over my trembling legs, and broke down into tears. I eventually cried myself to sleep like the many nights just like this one.

It was like this every day. Go to school, get verbally abused; go home, get physically abused, do homework, go to sleep. I had contemplated running away multiple times, but I could never bring myself to it. Most people would hate their parents for doing this to them every day, but I didn't.

Why? Because I still remember the days when my brother was alive and we were just one happy family. Sure, our dad was gone and my mom had a little resentment for leaving her twice, each time with a new baby in her arms, but we were happy.

Then one day my brother was gone. He randomly disappeared. Everyone assumes that he's dead. My mom always blamed me even though I couldn't have done anything about it. Well, that's what I used to think. My mom had yelled at me and beat me so much because she said that I had killed him. After a while I started to believe it.

But every time I think about running away I always wonder what would happen if Thomas, my big brother, came back? Then he would go through the same thing I go through every day. What would my mom do if I left? She doesn't work. She relies on me doing odd jobs around the town for money, so I always talk myself out of it.

Even though my mom abuses me I still want her approval. I still want her love. I still want to belong.

Does that make any sense?

So what did you think? I know it probably wasn't too great. But I'm trying here! I don't own the characters Rick Rioradan does! So vote, comment, and read on!
~Tapper~