Chapter 35 - Release

The plan had been set and was ready for action. The Task Force focused on the screens in front of them which displayed the interior of a car. Soichiro Yagami was waiting in the driver's side looking concerned into the camera. "I'm ready Ryuzaki." He spoke. The car door opened and Light and Misa entered. They stared at each other before the car began to pull away. I knew what was going to happen, this was a test, a test to truly prove if Light and Misa were Kira and the 2nd Kira. I had spent the last week trying to get rid of this so called memory block. What was I missing, was it something big or something small? Either way I wanted to find out.

"Dad, where are we going?" Light asked. His father explained how that they were been taken to an execution site to answer for their deeds as Kira and the 2nd Kira. I studied Light's scared face, he was absolutely petrified. I couldn't bear it, my best friend was scared and I couldn't be there for him. I wanted to help, to tell him that it's fake. I intertwined my fingers in L's hand, he knew that I was uncomfortable. He tightened the grip as in to say that everything was going to be alright. One of his fingers traced over my engagement ring in continuous circles. A weird feeling overcame me, a feeling that I already knew was there. I was absolutely in love with L and wanted it to stay that way. I wanted this to all be over so I didn't have to pretend to be Light's girlfriend anymore. A sudden realisation hit me. Why was Light going out with me and Misa? I couldn't remember the reason; this must be part of the memory block. I needed to know.

It was time, the ultimate confession. Was Light Kira? "So from one murderer to another, I'll see you in hell." Soichiro's voice boomed as he pulled the trigger of the gun that was aimed at Light's head. A loud bang filled the intercom as nothing happened. He relaxed and looked into the hidden camera. "Was that good enough?" He asked? L pushed a button down with his other hand.

"Yes, that was quite a convincing performance I must say." He replied. After that he switched off the screens. "What a shame." I heard him mumble under his breath. It was like he wanted him to be Kira. Even though I disagreed with L I still loved him very dearly. "(Y/N), there is one thing that I must ask of you before Light arrives."

"What is it?" He lifted up my hand with the ring on it.

"If Light finds out it might jeopardise this investigation."

"W-what, why would Light care. I don't even remember why he's dating Misa. I'm sure he would be happy for me."

"(Y/N)," he sighed. "You really don't remember do you." He said cupping my face with one hand.

"No, I-I don't." I looked down into my lap.

"Just trust me, that's all I ask."

"I know that you're right but no matter what happens I'm never taking off this ring, I love you Ryuzaki and nothing can ever change that. If he asks I'll just say it's from my mum or something. Ok?!" I felt a single tear start to well up in my eye. I lowered my voice to a faint whisper. "I'm never taking it off, ever." He sighed and pulled me into a hug. I could hear his heart thumping in his chest. Although he seemed alien, in reality he was just human.

"Promise?" His deep voice resinated though his chest. He kissed the top of my head, I closed my eyes and nuzzled his chest.

"Promise." I whispered.