Chapter 71 - Surprises

Sorry that I havn't uploaded in a while. Year 10 has just stated, let me just say English Extension is the best subject!!!! It is legit just reading and writing whatever you want (Including fan fiction) so this means that I can combine schoolwork with this fanfic. yay! Author-chan =)

--------------------------------

Another few months had passed and we had decided to monitor Misa. Of course nothing suspicious happened but it was still worth a try. I had spent the last few weeks at the hospital doing intense rehabilitation. I had forced L to stay at work since I wanted to surprise him. I sat in front of Mac who had a smile plastered across his face. "I'm very excited for this session (Y/N). I have high hopes."

"I can tell." I chuckled. When we first met I was cold towards him but now we had built a friendly relationship. Especially because he saved my life.

"Shall we get started?" I nodded. My heart pounded in my chest as I pushed myself up. He came over to my side and held onto my arm offering support. I froze in place. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm just nervous."

"There's no need to be, plus it means you won't ever have to see that wheel chair again." I looked back at it then at him.

"Yep, I'm definitely ready now with new motivation." He laughed quietly. I then looked straight in front of me and narrowed my eyes. I took one last deep breath in and pushed his arm away. I was standing up all by myself.

"Are you sure that you don't want Ryuzaki here?"

"Yes, I really want to surprise him along with all my friends."

"As you wish. Well then (Y/N). Are you ready to start a new chapter in your life?" I clenched my fist with determination and nodded. With another deep breath I lifted up my leg and took a step forward. The other followed behind.

"I-I DID IT!" I yelled excitedly. I needed no wheel chair or walking stick any more. I looked at Mac who smiled with approval. I could even see a tear of happiness well up in his eye. I continued to cautiously walk to the other side of the room. "When can I run again. It's a sensation that I have missed so dearly."

"If you can walk, no one is there to stop you. Just be careful." I walked back over to him and he pulled me into a hug. "It looks like I won't have to see you again for a while. I'm very proud of you (Y/N). Not anyone can survive a bullet to the brain."

"Thank you so much Mac." I whispered as I pulled away. He walked me slowly over to the door and opened it for me.

"I'll walk you to the car." My walking became stronger and more confident the more we walked. We eventually made it to the front entrance. Watari's mouth was also in a smile as he too came over to me and embraced me in a fatherly like hug.

"I am so happy to see that you can walk again (Y/N). Ryuzaki will be extremely pleased." He opened the car door for me. I paused and looked over at Mac.

"Goodbye Mac."

"Goodbye (Y/N)." He waved at me then without turning back I hopped in the car and we drove off.

(Time skip – back to headquarters)

The elevator doors opened and I walked into the room then stood in place. "Welcome bac..." Matsuda trailed off in shock. "R-Ryuzaki."

"What is it Matsuda." He didn't answer which caused L to look at him. He saw me there and his eyes were wide and was chewing on his thumb nail. He was frozen in place then started to walk further towards me. Once he was two meters away I couldn't help myself any longer. I pushed off and attempted to run into his arms. I stumbled and fell but he caught me. "(Y/N). You can walk." I nodded as tears welled up in my eyes. I gripped him by the neck of his shirt and pulled him in until our lips crashed together. I didn't care if everyone was watching, this was my moment. After a long moment we slowly pulled away from each other.

"Happy twenty-ninth birthday." I whispered.

"I-It's my birthday." He said confused.

"Yep, that's why I prepared this." Just on cue Watari brought out a giant chocolate cake. Everyone's mouths started to water. I took his hand and led him over to the lounge area. He crouched down on one of the seats. I turned to the rest of the task force. "What are you waiting for." They hurried over and sat around the cake that was on the coffee table. I picked up a lighter and lit the candles. "Make a wish." He turned his head to look at me. The twenty-nine-year old's insomniac eye's started into mine. He then turned back to the cake and gently blew out the candles.

"Ryuzaki you have to cut the first piece." Watari instructed.

"I-If you touch the bottom you have to k-kiss the nearest girl." Matsuda quickly chimed in. Then with a smirk on his face he quickly made the first cut making sure to touch the bottom.

"Whoops, looks like I cut it the whole way. I'm just going to have to kiss the nearest girl." His low voice purred. He inched closer to me and brought a hand up to my neck. Unfortunately, it was the one holding the knife. I quickly took it off him and threw it on the table. He chuckled then once again slowly pushed his lips to mine. We broke apart. "I think I should celebrate my birthday more often."

All of us spent the rest of the day eating cake and making up for lost time.