Chapter XIV

[Jeonghan’s POV]

That was the first time that I ever got tired from flying. Not with my wings but with this artificial flying vehicle that humans have made and used as transportation to whatever place they wanted within a distance. I can feel my stomach churning and the bile even threatened to come out but I was able to manage it so I won’t cause a mess of myself. We made it at almost evening and Joshua was really tired as well as Wonwoo. Wonwoo was the one using the guest room so I told Joshua that I was fine sharing a room with him even if on the floor and he didn’t thought twice about it and prepared a futon next to his bed. When I know that he was already asleep, I immediately hopped on the bed and nuzzled myself beside him, tucking myself under his blanket and admired his face that was being illuminated by the moon outside.
Jun said that I was in love with him. I wasn’t aware of that word from the beginning until I finally understood everything or rather Joshua made me understand. Jun said that love between a mortal and an angel was a forbidden thing but how can I manage to pull myself away from him when I finally got too attached towards him? It hurts thinking that I would be separated away from him soon and that was my reason for wanting to save him. If I was punished for rupturing the balance, then I would man up and accept it and if that punishment involves me losing my place in heaven and staying in this realm until I was dry with life then I must accept it. In that case, I would be able to spend more time with Joshua and then I can be with him till death.

“You told me you’re not going to do it again..” He groaned, shifting on his side, facing away from me.
“Joshua are you awake?” I asked and he didn’t answer. A smile tugged on my lips and I slip my hand between his side and his arm and wrapped it around him. I felt his hand above mine and I took that as a cue to pull myself near him but I was surprised when he spun around and faced me, pulling my arm so our chests were pressed  together and our eyes was staring at each other.
“You’re stubborn.” He said pinching my nose causing me to scrunch them but there was a smile on his face which I immediately returned. My right hand crawled its way on his face, resting on his cheek where my thumb brushed on it lightly as his eyes drifted back to sleep. “You need to sleep –“
“Yeah.” I muttered but I was not really falling asleep. I tightened my hug towards him and I felt a chuckle erupt from him.
 “I don’t want to let you go.”  I whispered and I felt his warm hand on my cheek. When I opened my eyes, he was there, looking at me admirably and smiling at me. His smile was so warm and it was causing my heart to flip inside my chest. “I think I’m in love with you.”

When I said that word, his eyes widen probably with surprise. He closed his eyes tightly with a restrained smile and pulled me closer towards him.

“You don’t know how much I’m happy right now.” He whispered on my ears and for some reasons, I felt really happy.

The next morning, Joshua was unusually blissful. His smile would never leave his face and whenever he would look at me, the tip of his ears would turn extremely red and he would walk towards me to give me a half-hug or either grip my hand and letting it go. His behavior was starting to weird me out and when it was time for him to leave, he seem to be a bit disappointed yet he still left, before snatching a kiss from me when Wonwoo’s back was on us.

“It was my first time seeing him that happy.” Wonwoo shrugged beside me as we walked towards the way to the university where he was going to attend. He was finishing his application papers and he asked me to come with him since he feels strange walking around alone in this place. I already managed memorizing the place and its trademarks so it was not really hard walking alone sometimes but there were moments that I would get lost and as if Joshua was sensing my need of help, he would appear right before my eyes and drag me with him.
“Yeah. He’s not like that before.” I said nonchalantly and Wonwoo looked at me.
“He must really like you.. Is he? Are you not bothered by it?” He asked and I looked at him cocking a brow.
“What do you mean?”
“Hmmm. Nothing…” He said and silence fell between us. “I thought he is dating Xia?”

I paused and frowned at him. Up until now Joshua wasn’t clarifying everything related towards him and that strange woman named Xia. She was furious the last time I saw her and even end up hurting me and what does dating means on the first place?

“What is dating?” I asked Wonwoo and he almost choked on the coffee he was drinking before looking at me with wide eyes.
“You don’t know what it means?” He asked and I shook my head. Wonwoo groaned beside me but I felt like he was humored because of the smile tugging on his lips.
“Dating is like going out with someone you like, someone you really really like and it’s like expressing love. I think it’s a sweet thing yet I am still not intrigued by it. I am busy with studying so—“
“Joshua said he loves me. Does that mean we can be dating?” I frowned at him and his eyes almost fell out of his sockets. What was wrong with my question for him to act like that? Was it really funny or does this one think that I’m joking?
“So I’m not mistaken.” Wonwoo said running a hand on his face before heaving another sigh that caused fog to form from his breath. “I didn’t even think that it’s that romantically.”

We made it to his university and even if I asked him what he means by his statement, he wouldn’t budge and would dodge the question to another topic so I left it just like that.

When he talked to the university staff, he was told to wait for the process to be completed. We walked to the waiting area when someone around Wonwoo’s age came rushing towards me. He was tall with hair tousled on the side but rather than that, he has a handsome face that reminds me of a model. He offered his hand on me and even grinned at me boyishly, running a hand on his already tousled hair as if it was making him any more attractive.
“Hi, my name’s Kim Mingyu. It’s rare to see a beauty like you here.” He winked and I frowned at him. “I work as a part time model so probably you have already saw me in some magazine and I am flattered in case. What are you doing in a place like this anyway? Are you inquiring?”
“He’s Jeonghan and he’s a guy.” Wonwoo deadpanned as his eyes remained fixed on the magazine he was reading and Mingyu frowned at him before landing his eyes towards me once again.
“Who’s this dimwit? Is he with you? Is he your boyfriend?”
“He’s right, I’m a guy but it’s a pleasure meeting you Mingyu.” I shook his hand and he seem to be confused by it.
“But you’re so pretty, you can’t be a guy.” He groaned.
“And you are too stupid to be a model.” Wonwoo said and I almost laughed at that. Just what was up with him? He was acting someone bitter and was even saying funny stuffs with that straight face.
“Ya! Who do you think you are? Acting arrogant just because you have someone beautiful with you? Aish. I can’t believe you and don’t you ever underestimate me because I can even flip a guy like you or probably you’re jealous because I’m picking on him. Tss.” Mingyu mocked and Wonwoo glared at him.
“You’re the one who’s acting arrogant here.” He said standing up and walking towards the office because he was being summoned and I was left with Mr. Narcissist. He sat beside me and three of his friend appeared and started laughing at him.

“You look stupid Mingyu! I told you that stop looking for a lovelife.” Said someone with chubby cheeks and the other two seems to be humored by Mingyu’s behavior.
“Aish. Stop teasing me will you? If you don’t have anything to do, get off of my face and do your damn business.” Mingyu said pouting and I watched them with admiration. They look so close and even making fun of each other.
“Hi my name’s Boo Seungkwan!” Beemed by the one teasing Mingyu earlier. I nodded and shook his hand and the other two started introducing themselves.
“My name’s Xu Minghao! I am this dimwit’s bestfriend.” The other one grinned as he ruffled Mingyu’s already tousled hair while the last one stood timidly.
“Lee Seokmin.” He smiled and I returned it. They didn’t immediately leave and instead hang out for a while where they talked about me about some stuffs and they were kind of weirded out by the words I was saying. They didn’t seem to understand anything but when Wonwoo came out of the office, they immediately retreated away from me as I stood up.

“This guy’s Wonwoo. He’ll be in this university and I entrust you with him. I know he doesn’t know anyone from here so at least be kind to him.” I said patting Wonwoo’s shoulders and he looked at the small group blankly.
“What are you saying hyung?” Wonwoo groaned then looking at me. “I can do things on my own.”
“Don’t be selfish!” Seungkwan mocked, advancing towards Wonwoo and trapping Wonwoo’s face with his hands. “You can count on us. We’re not that stupid and we won’t be copying your homework but I doubt Mingyu, he’s stupid.”
“What? You didn’t say that!” Mingyu scowled and the other two started laughing.
“When will you start?” Seungkwan asked.
“On Monday?” Wonwoo asked, shifting from foot to foot and Seungkwan seems to notice the discomfort from him so he retreated and gave the last smile before they started running towards their class.

“They’re so energetic. I believe you’ll be able to fit in.” I mused and Wonwoo picked his things as we took our way outside the campus.
“I’m not really good at socializing.” He muttered silently and I looked at him.
“I can tell but don’t worry. I can tell that those guys won’t be hard to deal with.”
“I hope so. They look like a happy bunch.” Wonwoo shrugged and this time we rode the bus towards the central and took some sightseeing. We even bought some stuffs to be cooked at home and I can tell that Wonwoo was really fascinated most likely when we reached the Time Square. We saw Joshua’s face flash from every corner of the shops there and I can’t help but be proud that we get to really know who that person was smiling there.

But I can’t help but suddenly feel sad. What if one day he wasn’t able to smile like that once again? What if everyone loses the guy that they admire and what if Wonwoo lost his only brother that was with him? I hate to think about the outcome and now that I thought of it, Joshua was important person who plays a lot of role if you were to compare him to me. He was being loved by many people and maybe losing him would cause a lot of pain for them.

“He’s really cool.” Wonwoo breathed and I agreed, staring at his billboard and smiling weakly.

I dragged Wonwoo towards another boutique where we looked for a scarf to give to Joshua because it was getting colder lately and maybe a small gift would make him happy. As be look for scarf that would match Joshua’s style, we spotted Seungcheol and he immediately rushed towards me, pulling me into a big hug that I accepted awkwardly.

“Hey!” He greeted flashing a gummy smile. A girl with elegant presence appeared behind him and I can tell that this was one of Seungcheol’s fling.
“Hello. What are you doing here?” I asked smiling, ignoring the girl who was shooting daggers towards me.
“Oh. I just had an appointment with a client another endorsement.” He beemed and he smiled.
“Where’s Joshua?” I asked and he looked baffled before his eyes landed on Wonwoo and either attacked him with a big hug.
“You’re already grown!” He squealed like a woman leaving me with the woman who was already crossing his arms on his chest.

“Joshua is visiting Xia if I am not mistaken.” She deadpanned, now glaring at Seungcheol.
“What do you mean?” I asked and she cocked a brow at me.
“Well she tried killing herself so she was hospitalized and I guess Joshua is just visiting his girlfriend. I mean it’s his job to take care of her.” She answered and I just nodded before Seungcheol’s attention dropped on me.
“She’s Xia’s sister so I have to go okay? I need to bring her to Xia so they can talk. See you later.” Seungcheol waved a hand and immediately disappeared on the crowd with the strange woman with him.

Suddenly I feel so defeated. So it was true that Xia and Joshua have something between them. I don’t understand everything completely but I can tell that Xia really liked Joshua. I took a deep sigh as Wonwoo paid for the scarf we chose for Joshua and we hurried towards the bus station because it was getting late and Joshua would be worried if we got any more later. We managed to make it home before Joshua made it back and he look like he was really exhausted the way he threw himself on the couch.

“You look tired.” I popped near him and the moment he saw me, he smiled brightly.
“Yeah. Too much stuff at work.”
“I’ve heard you visited Xia. How is she?”

When I asked that, he was surprised but didn’t denied it anyway. He looked pained when he remained quiet and I know that he was thinking about something that he cannot voice out.

“She’s not fine at all. She didn’t even talked to me when I went there. She’s beat up and her hands are restrained because she keep on hurting herself. I don’t know what got into her to do things like that.” He sighed and I just remained quiet.
“I hope she gets better. We ordered Chinese by the way so you can eat up and rest.”

Joshua nodded and heaved himself towards the kitchen where Wonwoo was preparing the dishes and we started eating together. Joshua’s eyes were dropping and he looked really tired that after he was done eating, he immediately went to his room and sleep. I helped Wonwoo cleaning the dishes and I was quiet all the time because I feel so bothered when I heard about Joshua visiting Xia. At first I don’t care about that stuff but why do I started feeling something awful inside my chest?

“Wonwoo, what do you call when you’re chest is aching like I don’t really know how to explain it.” I sighed defeated and he snorted.
“Just admit that you’re jealous. I mean Jisoo-hyung is dating Xia right? And you like him? You see you have a complicated relationship. I don’t even know when this noona started dating hyung.”
“Is there a reason to be jealous?”
“Sure. If you really like that person. I think that’s it.” He shrugged.

After cleaning, I went to Joshua’s room to see him sleeping deeply. I watched how peaceful he was and sat beside the bed to brush away the hair on his face and kissing his forehead. Then I started the ritual that not even Joshua know. I heaved myself above Joshua, trapping him underneath me and pressing my lips inches away from his where I would start sending off energy towards him that I know would fix the tissues inside his body and make him feel better. It was a fast process but it was still weakening me so right after I finished the ritual, I slumped next to him, sweating profusely and catching my breath. My vision was either blurry yet a satisfying smile managed to came out of me as I sank into darkness.
 ------