Chapter XXII

[Jeonghan]

Like a star wandering into the vast space of the universe, I keep drifting, waiting for the day that my shine disappears and gradually exploding only not to be seen again. My body wasn't in the same state as it was before and though humans tried to do their best to save my life...

I know that I'm coming to my end.

I already went against the law of nature and because of that, the heavens decided for my punishment. It was severe but I have to accept it as a consequence for what I did. I was kicked out from heaven. They cut off my wings, drained my abilities and gave me the life span of a dying mortal. And the reason was...because I fell in love.

Angels and humans cannot be together the same goes with the deities and humans, gods and humans, demons and humans and all the sorts because humans were considered as the most dangerous being to exist in this endless universe. They were considered as a threat to our kind because they can turn vicious and take advantage of our differences. They were greedy beings yet they were the warmest one. And I was a fool because I took the bait out of their kindness and unexpectedly fell for a mere human whose soul was for me to accumulate.

Yet I don't regret anything.

My memories of everything vanished but the moment he laid his eyes on mine, like water, it came out spilling that it almost drowned me. Everything returned, the memories of him and the worst one that keeps on haunting me.

"Joshua.." I muttered his name as our lips parted ways.

I looked at him with hooded eyes through the beam of the moon spilling from behind the room's dark curtains, I saw him smile as I held his warm hands very dearly. His hands were filled with warmth as it brushed against my cold ones and though I wanted to hold on it forever, I just can't. I can't.

"Would you regret this?" I asked him, wondering what his answer would be to that question that has been bothering me up until now.

"Who knows?" he said while frowning but that frown immediately turned into a smile as he focused his eyes on me, caressing my cheeks and kissing my forehead gently. "You should go to sleep. We have some duties to tend to tomorrow. It would be a busy day."

I nodded and we both went inside as I tried my best to fall asleep. Sleep that was filled with scary nightmares that I was sure could make a normal person turn insane as he woke up. I keep seeing myself getting killed countless of times, my body weakening from the extreme blood lost and voices that keep on cursing my whole being, laughing at my disgusting sin and insulting me for being a heathen, an abomination to my kind. There was no way it will go away for me just because I wanted to instead it keeps on repeating the same day to the point that it became unnerving.

-----

I woke up the next day with the smell of toast wafting the air. I thought Joshua left after I fell asleep but it looks like he was there or there won't be any breakfast for me the next day. I was still not used with cooking and I guess I'll never be but every morning; Joshua would come, bringing me some good stuff to eat before we proceed to our jobs, yes I finally managed to find a job to sustain myself. I finally moved into my new apartment and it's already been a week since that day that I've gained another memory that made me want to live even more. I finally managed to live by myself for a week or rather, with Joshua's support once again. I hate how I became so dependent towards him but I can't push him away because I would miss him and I hate myself for that.

"Good morning.." I greeted Joshua as I went to the kitchen, rubbing my eyes drowsily and plopping myself on the kitchen stool.

"Eat this and dress up after, I'll drop you at the Child Center." He gave me a warm smile that made my heart flutter even more.