Chapter XXI

[Joshua]

“Wonwoo can you hand over the paint for me?” Mingyu asked as we started to repaint the tarnished exterior walls of Jeonghan’s new apartment. I’ve finally managed to find an appropriate place for him to stay and I can say that it wasn’t an easy job at all. Though there were lots of good choices it was really far and I preferred the one where I can easily drop by if ever I wanted to pay a visit which means the nearer the place, the better. And granted, Pinky, my newly found friend’s aunt owns an apartment building, finding one nearby didn’t took much long. 

“Why can’t you just go and get it.” I hear Wonwoo respond harshly towards Mingyu but did what the other person was asking him and handed the paint anyway. Sometimes, I really wonder what the relationship between this two was.

It was a weekend and so asking help was easier like I expected. Mingyu and the rest of his friends volunteered to help us renovate the house which looked worst when I personally checked it. Pinky said that it was the only place left since most of the apartment units were already occupied and the former tenant wasn’t the best when it comes to taking care of houses so it turned out like this. Her aunt forced that person out a few days before because he wasn’t paying and so they didn’t have the time to fix everything in it before I took it. I told her it was fine but I guess she was mortified because she didn’t expect that unit to be like that so I assured her and though it lifted her spirit up a little, still there was a hint of doubt within her. We then decided to do the renovation on the next day and she offered some people to do the job but I insist since a great idea came into my mind when she said the word renovation.

And that’s why we were here, doing the odds of making the place habitable to our new friend and making memories on the process. I invited Seungcheol to come along but he was busy during the mornings so I understand but he said he will pay a visit once everything in his list was over. In my case, I don’t have any important meetings for today or if there was some, I told Dino to cancel it immediately and that’s why he was also here.

“Sir where should I put this?” he beamed, carrying some lumber on his shoulder that we will use later.
“Put that in a corner where no one would get bothered by it.” I stated and he proceeded what was asked.

The problem with the unit was its peeling paint job, there were also some broken windows and the damage in the pipeline on the kitchen sink, there were also some parts in the ceiling that was falling off and damaged by termites and this weird vandalism inside his home, as if he has a kid due to the crayon mark scattered everywhere, probably he has a kid, which I don’t know.
Everyone was busy doing their assigned work. Mingyu, Wonwoo and Minghao were doing the paint outside of the house, Dino was gathering the materials which we would need while fixing the place. It was delivered but those people weren’t considerate enough to drop the things near us, Seokmin was filling up the holes on the roof which was really dangerous but the kid was so hyped to do it, Seungkwan was assisting Dino with the materials, Pinky, who also cancelled all her schedules to help was there, gathering the things which she will need in cooking and Jeoghan was with me inside, helping me with the things I needed while I fixed the ceilings. I admit it was a hard job for me since its been too long since I last did that and it was back when I was still a kid, assisting my father while he fixed the ceilings inside my room. Doing things like these were very nostalgic and for me, I didn’t regret ever coming up with an idea like this.

“Jeonghan can you hand me the nails please?” I asked, hammering yet another nail on the ceiling.
“Sure, here you go.” He said, rising up his hands to reach me, I was on top of a ladder since the ceiling was pretty high.
“Hold it for me please. Just tell me when you get tired.” I smiled at him before returning my eyes back to the ceiling. I grabbed another nail which I hammered on the wall once again before I remembered how dusty it was here. “By the way, shouldn’t you put a facemask or something? I don’t want you getting another asthma attack later.”
“It’s fine. I can—“
“No you can’t.” I said briskly then stepped down of the ladder for a while. “Just wait here.”