Chapter Twelve: Drowning in steroids

Maeva's point of view.

After gathering a vast experience in fictional tales, and having stepped into the adult realm, I've learned the hard way that the world hides no prince charming for me. If ten-year-old me heard twenty-two-year-old me say that, she'd beat the crap out of me for even questioning the possibility of having a happily ever after. It is remarkable, though, how little it takes for kids to build that imaginary world of theirs with castles and faithful peasants, while realizing the cruelty of the world takes years of betrayal, several heartbreaks and a whole lot of empty paper tissue boxes...

Now I believe that one should always share his experience with others. Hence, here are my six commandments for a fairytale-free and healthy life:

Commandment one: Learn to defend yourself in all situations. No king's son is waiting behind the corner to salvage little poor you from the claws of evil.

Commandment two: Settle for a vehicle that works. There is no fairy godmother who'd make you a Ducati out of a pumpkin.

Commandment three: Only actual humans count as friends. If you see a hurdle of mice sewing you a dress, call pest management then leave the planet for good.

Commandment four: Always sleep with one eye opened. If you were ever to be drowning in everlasting sleep, and a prince kissed you, call the police and report sexual assault.

Commandment five: Stop searching for that perfect partner. If the looks are there, the skull must be half empty. If the brain actually functions, the physique might not be that picturesque. If everything is there, wait in line behind the endless groupies.

Commandment six: Let reasonably unlimited self-esteem and realistic goals be your happily ever after. Because even you wouldn't want to be with yourself if you were as sessile and ambitionless as a moss.

In the light of the latter commandment, I've decided to ignore everything around me to focus on what matters the most: my mental sanity. That is no easy thing to achieve, though. Considering all the calamities and meteorites that have been bombarding me ever since I set foot in my parents' house, Daniel decided to coach me. 

Now although it might sound a bit weird, having someone guiding every step that I take, from five thousand miles away, is somewhat of an effective technique. After getting me to cross my heart and hope that my orchid dies if I do interrupt him, he starts pouring rules over my head during a motivational video chat we're having as I water my babies.

"First, you need to throw away your onesie!" he commands. Although I might've crumbled up and dropped the water bottle upon hearing that terrible rule, having the onesie away would actually help me rise from the ashes of my depressive mentality. 

No onesie means no more ice-cream buckets. No ice-cream bucket means less self-pitying sessions. I could not throw it away, though. That artifact of mine is far too precious to be heartlessly disposed of. Let's just say that I'm allowing it some time off to restore its strength after I've drained every spec of rainbow magic out of it. I guess nana will understand that I have to make sacrifices in order to maintain my brain in place.