Chapter Twenty-eight: Balcony of the hopeless

Maeva's point of view

If I were to be asked what the worst feeling in the world was, twelve years ago, I would've said being ignored.

Life has taught me, however, that many people will try to overlook me. The only solution is to ignore them back and move on.

If I were to be asked what the worst feeling in the world was, five years ago, I would've said grief.

The world has taught me, however, that time can heal everything. I'll indubitably move on, and new people will occupy other parts of my heart.

If I were to be asked what the worst feeling in the world is, right now, I would say ingratitude.

Life is yet to teach me, however, why people can overlook all the good one has done because of a tiny detail that went wrong.

I've been Mark's friend for years. We were there for each other for the better and the worst. He's confided me with his deepest secrets and I told him everything about myself. It seems that the one mistake I did has erased all the good days we had. Just like that, I became the devil that left and broke everyone's heart. What kills me is that no one's sparing me the -why did you leave? - preach, because I might have an excuse to leave like that!

"Slow down, Maeva!" screams Stephanie as she jumps in front of the treadmill to catch my attention. I ignore her, however, and focus on the timer ticking before me. It amazes me how anger can make time pass by so fast, and pain turn out so mild. I've been running nonstop for the past thirty minutes, and my heart somehow asks for more. The agony of the workout camouflages the daggers sinking in me, and I'll gladly keep it burning me as long as it still works.

"I want her away from my son," I recall the venom-coated words that were thrown at me last week. I always thought Isabelle was a good person. Good thing I realized how much of a fake human she is. I still can't believe that she's told him that I'll only hurt him again. How dare she? Just as I had him open up to me again! Oh, how I'd like to kick her like that and break her nose like this... agh...

"Damn. Who're you kicking like that?" asks Stephanie, evil gleaming in her eyes. Stopping mid-workout, I take a couple of steps away from the punching bag and try to take the gloves off but fail miserably as the profuse sweat makes the strap all slippery.

"Stupid sweat!" I shriek, and Stephanie giggles at the sight of me fighting a red boxing glove.

"You've improved quite a lot," she says, a strange hint of sincerity exuding from her as she takes the gloves off for me. Although we never really agreed on anything, Stephanie and I are quite the team in the gym. While she enjoys torturing me with her devices, I always manage to get on her nerves. It's been quite a while since she began training me, and although it pains me to admit, I have to say that I've been enjoying my weekly sessions. I even made some buffy friends.