Chapter Twenty-four: Working that magic

Maeva's point of view

"Two single rooms, right?" I nod at the receptionist who cannot contain his grin as he taps on the keyboard before him. My soul's aching from all the laughter it's enduring and I genuinely don't know where I've mustered the power not to collapse from amusement...

"Let's make it one room," Mark says, his eyes gleaming in pure evil. My smile drops almost instantly and the urge to smack one of the hotel brochures on that smudge smirk of his is very tempting. The guy behind the counter looks at us in shock as we face each other in a -ready for a match- manner.

Round one – fight...

"Two rooms" I repeat, my fists clenching hard.

"One suite!" Is he doing his best to make me lose it?

"Williams, stop it!"

"Why're you so pissed?"

"Because you're being silly."

"I just want us to spend some quality friends time." That friend thing has seriously started to tap on my nerves.

"Two rooms," I order the receptionist, ignoring Mark's smirk.

"Uh... I'm afraid we only have doubles left," the guy says, his expression screaming please don't kill me. If I were him, I'd hide under the counter!

"You must be kidding with me!"

"Look on the bright side, buddy!"

"Call me buddy one more time and I will smudge that smirk of yours on the counter." My threat seems to amuse him, for some reason, and he turns around and says,

"I can't blame her, she goes coo-coo around me. We'll take a double."

Was I not the one supposed to be laughing my eyes out? How in the world has he managed to turn me into a grinch? Agh, stupid guy!

Stomping my feet like a kid, I walk towards the elevators and lean forward to push the button. Only Mr. double room decides to do the same and so I bump into his hard chest. Agh...

After a minute of awkward silence, the doors open and I walk into the elevator with him casually trailing behind. I'm about to push the button with the number nine on it, but a gentle electrical shock snaps on my hand when delicate fingers touch mine.

''If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're finding excuses to touch me!'' Oh, dear Lord, it was a coincidence! Can his ego get any bigger?

''Yeah right, in your dreams Williams!'' He only smirks at my shriek and his emeralds remain ever so fixed on me. 

Dammit, Williams! Look away! I'm hardly holding myself!

Ding...

Despite the ring that echoes in the cabinet, and the widely opened elevator doors, Mark seems unmoved. He even has the nerve to place his hand on my back, as I freeze in place at the sight of people joining us in the tiny can of an elevator.