Chapter Thirty-three: Men will be men

Maeva's point of view

I groan at the scream tearing my eardrums and ever so echoing in my still somnolent head. I instantly regret opening my eyelids for the light burns me as if it was urging me to stay in bed for a little longer.

"What's going on there?" I ask with one hand raised to shade on my eyes, and the other thrown in the air in frustration.

"Nothing, go back to sleep." Well if you really do insist.

Trying to go back to the nice place I've been cruelly torn out of, I smile as my head sinks further in the pillow. Just then, an annoyingly ticklish body lands on my face. I shake it off and turn to lay on my belly. It lands on my earlobe and starts buzzing its heart out.

"Aghhhh. Freakin fly!" Struggling to restrain the urge to creatively smash the insect with a shoe or a newspaper, I fumingly part from the mattress and open the window, allowing it to leave me be. I wait for a couple of minutes before closing the window back, then embrace the blanket with both my hands and feet, savoring every bit of warmth engulfing my body.

"Wake up sleepy head! Vertland's waiting for us. We're going shopping!" I swear that Kimberly's voice is worse than that fly's buzzing.

"Go away! I don't need new clothes" I scream while hiding underneath the blanket.

"Who said we needed clothes. We're taking our revenge! I was just..."

Ah, clouds... that's where I'd like to be now. Soft fuzzy and airy clouds floating in the air. No one would be able to reach me there. I'd meet Cupid and thank him for yesterday's miracle. I mean, it was amazing! Even with my body screaming for another minute of sleep, I cannot stop thinking about everything that has happened and wish for it to replay over and over again, for I've never thought that I'd ever live to witness such prodigy. Aghh the things I would do to jump on a cloud and watch whatever it is that's HE's doing right now!

"I can't believe she slept back while I was explaining my genius plan!"

"Kimberly, for the love of God, spare us that shopping session of yours. We could go to the beach instead, I bet no one would be there this early"

"Tsk, that sleeping beauty's rubbing too much on you, Jules. We can't stay away from other humans for forever... Oh my god, I got a text from James. He says that Mark fell off his motorcycle yesterday, he's terribly injured!"

Did I hear her right? Mark's hurt? Oh no no no no. I knew that I couldn't enjoy two consecutive tragedy-free days. I jump out of bed and reach for the phone. My brain's still all rusty after long hours of sleep, so I rely on muscle memory to guide my fingers on the screen. I barely hear two beeps before a hoarse voice mutters a worried hello.

"Mark, thank God! Are you okay?" Just then, it dawns on me that Mark does not have a motorcycle. For all I know, he doesn't even know how to ride one. I narrow my eyes at the two girls standing next to me with their hands glued to their mouths and eyes scanning me with amusement.