Chapter Thirty-four: Surrendering to gravity

Maeva's point of view

I'm standing next to my car, relieved that the pain chest haunting me earlier has finally decided to let me be, and praying for it not to remember me anytime soon. Soon enough, Julia comes out of the pharmacy's door, holding Jackson's hand and supporting him like a wounded soldier on his way back from battle. 

Now to be quite honest, the bruise on his face isn't that bad. I mean, I've seen worse. A few spots of purple and red garnish his cheeks, and only a single button of his shirt is ripped. However, Julia seems to be deeply concerned as she scans him every now and then. For all I know, you don't need your jaw to walk. Why is she wrapping his hand around her shoulders and slowly walking him?

She flashes a smile once she's next to the car and I help her place the bags in the trunk. We work in silence, shoving our things randomly and piling emotions in our hearts. Suddenly, one of the heavily loaded bags falls on her hand, and a faint snap is heard from underneath. 

She sticks her pinky out, knitting her eyebrows at the broken nail as if it was the cause of all her problems. Next thing I know, she smashes several slaps on the pile of shopping bags Kim has left in the trunk, letting out shrieking cries with every blow. Knowing her, I let her pour all of her frustration on the fruits of five hours of enduring shopping. It will do her good. Besides, ironing dozens of dresses and shirts will do Kimberly's temper good.

"You're right," she says, wiping a tear off of her cheek, "my brother is a mule!" 

You bet he is! Although I'm thrilled to see that people have finally started to understand why I call him that, it pains me to hear someone other than me use that nickname. Mark has been cursed with one of the toughest skulls there is.  He's a baby on the inside, though... You only need to dig way way way way deeper to find the kid in him.

Not knowing what to say to calm her down without adding fuel to the fire ignited in her, I engulf her in a tight hug and feel her shaking as she tries to contain her tears. 

"I just want to go home, please M."

~~○~~

I'm driving silently, recalling every bit of the disaster we just escaped from. It seems as though it happened so fast that I have trouble putting all the pieces together. First, Mark turns into a caveman, then my heart almost bursts out of my chest as he tries to talk to me, and finally, our supposedly relaxing shopping spree's cut short which makes us leave Vertland before the girls get the chance to flood the cars with shopping bags. Oh did I forget to mention how Julia completely lost it? Those Williams are just tiring me. After barely spending a few weeks with them, I can already feel my body crying for some time out.

Jackson looks at me apologetically and I flash him a weak smile as I realize, from the rear-view mirror, that Julia has finally fallen asleep on his shoulder. The poor guy keeps raising his eyebrows and taking deep breaths, his eyes closed from all the pain that must've arisen from his bruised jaw. Suddenly, they both jump in their seats as my phone bursts out ringing, tearing the silence that had reigned for the past hour.