Chapter 14.5

"Whenever you want."

Coming home from the gym, Nami was greeted for the first time at the door, all encompassed in her husband's arms.

"Welcome back, Nami."

She had this dumb smile on her face and waited for something else but it never came. And he left her standing there as if it didn't matter.

She looked in the direction he'd gone and followed him in the kitchen. Saw him wearing an apron and that he turned on the burner. Even had food stuff spread out on the counter.

Before confronting him, she checked the fridge for something she left for later and her face dead-panned upon realizing that it was gone. Not even a crumb remained.

She sat on the counter close to him and sees that he had strips of bacon in the pan sizzling on low fire and was now reaching for the eggs. He looked so proud of himself as he cracked some and had only gotten a single shell to fall which was easily picked out.

"What are you up to?"

"I'm making us breakfast."

"How sweet. You're doing a good job so far."

'Shishishishi' "Thanks."

"Did you eat the protein bar I left in the fridge?"

"Yeah. It was good."

"Why did it have to be that one? What about the other 9 left in the pantry?"

He came over to her and picked a leaf out her hair and twirled it around with his fingers.

"I ate those too."

"You're unbelievable."

He grinned unapologetic and that got on her nerves.

"I hate you."

"In that case, I hate you too." He was about to close the space between them and Nami moistened her lips in anticipation but Luffy hesitated and pulled away.

Frustrated, Nami trapped her arms around his neck, wrapped her legs around him and brought him back close against her. He gulped and looked scared for his life.

"Where do you think you're going, Luffy?"

"Uh...-"

"Weren't you about to kiss me?"

"I -uh- changed my mind."

"You're lying."

His shoulders sank in defeat and he confessed," I'm not sure about when I should kiss you. What if you don't want to?"

"When you came to welcome me back home, you should have kissed me then. Now is also a good time. Actually, you can kiss me whenever you want."

"Whenever I want?"

"Yeah. When it comes to me, I want to kiss you all the time. Especially now."

Luffy nodded, eyes zoomed in on her lips and he advanced forward.

"You said whenever I want, right?"

"Right... Wait- Do you smell something?"

They both turned to see the fried eggs and bacon, shriveled up from the excessive heat with a hint of brown edges, screaming to be saved.

Luffy, sullen, turned off the stove. He was extremely disappointed. He didn't mind eating it. Sanji said that food of any kind and form shouldn't be wasted and he was a strong advocate of that policy. For his wife, on the other hand, he would have to fry a new batch.

Nami hopped off the counter, pulled the draw for a fork and had a taste of the eggs.

"Even though they're burned a little, it's delicious," she said, beaming. It was a very good try.

Then without a moment's notice, Luffy's lips were on hers, and her mind turned into a puddly mess. Her eyes slipped closed and she kissed back.

He ended it too soon but Nami did not mind one bit. All she could do was stare at him in a lost daze.

'Shishishishi' "I'm gonna make us some tea now," Luffy said going over to the cupboard to grab two mugs, "Do you mind making some toast?"

"...Huh? Toast?"

"Yeah."

"I can do that."